Chapter 40: Carnage

Nova

Today was the seventh day in the compound. The day I will fight in Carnage. I'm not afraid at all. I had gotten the map of the other compounds but I still hadn't been able to put my eyes on the leader and that was the biggest reason why we were here.

And I had a plan.

Once I beat Carnage I plan on challenging their leader. I'll finally be able to put a face to the ghost we've all been anxiously waiting to see. I haven't told Finn of my plan. I know he'd stop me and I needed to do this. I needed to end this so I could have my forever. If I can kill the leader his empire will crumble and we'll be free. And that's all I wanted.

"Nova today is Carnage. Should we not flee? You do remember it is usually a fight to the death, yes?" Chaska said worriedly as I started my warmup.

"I know. And I'm ready for it. Trust me. I'll be fine."

Chaska nodded and walked off as Finn approached me next.

"We should leave. You don't need to do this. We have the map of the other compounds we should go. We've done enough. Let the military handle the rest."

I sighed and stood up, grabbing Finn's face in my hands and made him look into my eyes. "I have to do this. We need to put eyes on the leader and the only way to do that is to beat Carnage. I will win. You know I will. Just remember what Chaska's grandmother said.

"I do win in the end. I survive. I have to do this. Once we see him that's it. That's all we need. Then we'll be free. So trust me when I say I can do this. I'm fighting three Savages and Saul. Saul might put up a fight but the other three will die easily. I can do this. So have faith in me."

Finn kissed me and pulled me into chest, holding me tight as he sighed and nodded his head. "Okay Nova. We can do this. But we're leaving as soon as we see the leader. Do you understand?"

I agreed to soothe his fears but made sure I kept determination and confidence as my emotions. I didn't want to slip and have him feel my unease for not telling him my plan. I tell him everything and it kills me to keep this from him but I know he'll try to stop me and I don't want to second guess anything or have any faults. I needed to be strong. Because tonight is the night I set my family free. And I'm ready for it.

I heard someone coming towards our home and grabbed my handgun, slinking towards the door and hushed everyone as I peeked through the window to see who it was. And it was Saul. So that means it's time. Just before he could knock I pulled the door open, looking up at him with narrowed eyes as he smiled down at me. This man is going to die today. He's earned it for all of the innocent Resistants he's killed.

One less piece of shit in the world sounds good to me.

"Good evening. You disappeared after dinner. Mind taking a walk with me? Your people can come too."

"Give me five." I shut and locked the door, pulling my group to the back room and delivered the plan. They all were uneasy but did listen to me and agreed to follow through with my plan.

"If anything goes wrong I want you to go to the tunnel I showed you and wait at the exit out by the base. If I'm not there within an hour leave without me. If I survive I'll meet you back at the base. And these are direct orders. Do you understand?"

Everyone nodded again so I took a deep breath, ready to annihilate these dickheads. I just hope everything goes according to plan.

"Can you guys give us a minute? Make sure you're ready to go just in case we do have to make a break for it."

Everyone left Finn and I and when I looked up at him I knew I was caught. I kept my emotions in check but he knows me better than anyone else. Aside from Finch anyways.

"I know you're planning something and I also know you won't tell me what it is. But just know no matter what I will always have your back. We're both making it out of here alive. So whatever crazy plan you got going on just know I'll be seeing it through with you. Whether you like it or not."

Yeah. He's definitely not going to like it.

"Okay. Fine. Now we need to go so let's go."

I suited up with all of my weapons just as everyone came to meet me at the front door when they finished too. I double-checked everything but we were ready to go.

"Alright. Let's do this."

I opened the door and Saul grinned once we said we were ready.

"This way."

We followed him towards the main area of the compound and played it cool the whole time. We were doing a good job at seeming naive and clueless. My nerves grew stronger the closer we got to the ring. Finn pushed soothing waves into me, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze and glared at Saul as he came to walk beside me.

"Have you enjoyed your treatment this week?" He asked with an evil and knowing grin. I wish I could give him the same grin back.

"Yes. I have. Thank you for your hospitality."

Saul's grin deepened as he looked back at my group and then faced me again.

"So there's something you must do today. In order to stay. You do want to stay, don't you?" Saul asked as we got closer to the crowd.

And the crowd was huge.

I didn't like that my people would be around this many Savages without my protection. I need to find a safe place for them to stay while this happens.

"Yes. We do. What do you need?" I asked cluelessly as we finally made it to the ring.

"Your people can stand over there. But I'll need you to come with me. Take them over there and then meet me back at that spot. And leave all of your things with them. All weapons. Understand?"

I nodded and he walked off as I looked around for a safer spot. But there wasn't one. The best spot was beside the other main Savages in the leader's group. It was my best option. I gestured for them to follow me and had them group together right by the ring and kind of in their own spot away from the others. It was the best I could do. I just hope they'll be safe there until I can get out of the ring.

"Okay Killer. This is it. Are you sure you don't want to bail?" Finn asked one last time as he kissed me and looked into my eyes.

"I'm doing this. Just keep everyone safe until I'm finished. I can do this. Trust me."

Finn nodded and kissed me one more time, turning to pass the message to everyone else as I made my way back over to Saul once I gave Finn all of my weapons and my backpack. It would just weigh me down.

"How good at fighting are you?" He asked as we stopped at the entrance of the ring.

"You saw me demolish five guys with ease. I'm obviously pretty good." I replied with an eye-roll. I'm not trying to sound cocky but I know what's coming. I'm ready for this. I'm ready to end it all.

"If you try to escape I have men ordered to kill your people immediately. Get in the ring."

I listened and looked around at everyone as Saul called for their attention. This is when it begins. And I'm ready for it.

"Tonight is what you've all been waiting for! This woman beside me will be fighting in a game we call-let me hear you scream it-CARNAAGGEEEE!!!"

Everyone cheered and became more wild than before as he announced my fate.

But I was not afraid.

I was going to win.