How to Be An Optimist

"Tell me your plan," Cat Noir pleaded. Marinette was racing around her bedroom, tearing things apart. She tried to stay focused. Tried not to take one glance at her partner's shell-shocked face and implode into a blubbering mess. He looked so desperate to comfort her, and she so badly needed it...but if she leaned on him now, maybe she wouldn't be able to get up again.

"I have to go, right now. Before the press arrives. Before my parents see that video."

"Go?" His face twisted. "Go... where?"

Marinette paused, blinking back tears. She tried to breathe through the vice-like grip uncertainty had on her chest. "I-- I don't know... I'll figure something out..."

"Wait, hold on." He caught her arm, spinning her around and placing his hands on her shoulders. His gaze faltered. "You don't... have a plan, do you?"

 have a plan, do you?"

She pulled away. "My plan," she hissed, "is to act now before it's too late. I'll find Hawkmoth and end this."

"But we can't leave! What if Hawkmoth targets your parents?!"

"I'm not giving him a chance to!" She dropped the items she'd collected-- including her handful of Miraculous-- into a small bag. Swinging it over her shoulder she gave Cat Noir a pointed look. "Are you coming or not?"

He hesitated. "This game... it's my move, right?"

"I guess."

He met her gaze cooly. "I say we stay here, Bugette."

Marinette bristled, practically sparking with outrage. Was he trying to make this decision for her?!?

"We have separate turns, Kitty." She spat. "I choose to leave!"

Turning on her heel, the girl descended through her trapdoor to grab some rations from the bakery.

She definitely didn't glance back. She didn't see Alya's stunned face as she stormed away, or her partner's wide-eyed hurt.

They absolutely weren't branded in her mind. They weren't fueling her regret by any means.

Pausing at the front door with her well-stocked bag, Marinette gulped in a few breaths, not crying not crying. This is what has to be done.

But I was so harsh...

Maybe there was something she could do to ease her conscious.

Rushing back to the living room, she grabbed a few of the Miraculous from her bag and left them on the table, with a sticky note.

Kitty

These are for you, however you need to use them.