Chapter 5: Learning the Truth

When Hawthorne woke up the next morning, he really wished he hadn't. His head pounded around his skull, and he was pretty sure something had died in his mouth. When he rolled over, he noticed two major things. His phone was blown up with messages from Sierra, most asking if he had made it home okay, if he was still alive, that she was sorry for leaving him. The other thing was a glass of water with pain relievers, and a note saying to come downstairs.

Hawthorne downed the water and medicine, before responding a simple I'm okay back to Sierra. He took a detour to the bathroom, brushing his teeth and the awful flavor out of his mouth, before making his way down the stairs.

When he got to the bottom of the steps, he saw both River and Eli on the couch. They looked as awful as Hawthorne felt. Dark circles under their bloodshot eyes, hair everywhere. Hawthorne figured they hadn't gone back to bed last night, just waiting for him to wake up.

"Hey," he greeted, wincing at how rough his voice sounded. Both of his dads looked at him before waving him over.

"Come and sit with us," Eli told him, patting the spot between them on the couch.

"How are you feeling this morning?" River asked as he sat down.

"Rough," Hawthorne replied.

"I bet. Did you take your medicine?" Eli asked, and he nodded. "Good, you'll need it for the day. It's probably going to be hell for a couple hours."

An awkward silence fell over all of them. The unanswered questions hung in the air like smoke. Hawthorne couldn't decide if he wanted them to just spit it out already, or if he wanted to pretend no one knew anything. On one hand, he knew he deserved to know the truth. But on the other hand, was he ready for it?

River sighed suddenly, pulling Hawthorne into his arms, hugging him close. Hawthorne let his dad hold him for a moment before squirming. "Okay, I guess it's time to talk," River announced.

"I guess," Hawthorne relented, straightening out of his dad's embrace.

"Firstly, I want to know what you know. And then I can fill the gaps, and correct whatever misinformation you have. Okay?"

"Okay," Hawthorne nodded. "Um, I know about Kayson. I know that he's my biological father." Both River and Eli tensed up beside him.

"Can I ask how you found out?" Eli asked.

"I have another sister. Her name is Sierra. She found me and assumed I knew. So I did some research." Hawthorne paused. "Did you know about her?"

River shook his head. "I had my suspicions that maybe you had other siblings. Kayson wasn't necessarily abstinent."

Hawthorne ran his hands through his messy hair, taking a few deep breaths. "That's all I really know. I know he's my father, I know he's dead now, and I know he was in a gang. I just want to know what's going on. Or what went on."

"Okay. It's a long story, so buckle up." River put his hand on Hawthorne's leg, giving him a reassuring pat. "I was young, to start. Barely 18. And I was attracted to both Kayson and Eli. So I slept with them both."

"Ew, Dad. Stay surface level with detail." Hawthorne grimaced. Eli laughed for a moment.

"Afterwards, Kayson was no longer interested in me, but Eli was. So Eli and I started dating. And then I found out about you and your sister. Of course, a paternity test was necessary. And the doctor told me that you guys had different dads."

"Which is rare?"

"Which is very rare."

Hawthorne leaned back further into the couch, fiddling with his fingernails. "How did we end up here? And why did no one ever tell me?"