Chapter 5: Simon

I didn't know what had gotten into me. I felt different.

I finished writing the rest of my notes down. Students were packing up. The bell was set to ring in at least five minutes.

I sighed. I didn't know what I was doing, but I was going to do it.

The idea isn't that bad, right?

I walked up to Jasper. I felt nervous for some reason. But, there was no hatred. I just suddenly lost all hatred for him. And how? It just.. hit me?

I walked up to where he was standing, in front of his desk, packing up. He looked tired.

I tapped his shoulder. He turned around to see me. A confused Jasper stared at me.

"What?" He asked. "Here to antagonize me again?"

It was as if those words stabbed and stung. I almost winced.

"Surprisingly, Jasper, no. I'm not. I- uh- well, thanks for catching me in P.E. You know, preventing me from falling."

"Just reminding you to keep your head in the game. But, you're welcome, I guess." He smirked.

I swallowed. He was about to turn around when I stopped him.

"Wait."

He raised his eyebrow and frowned. "Yes?"

I couldn't even believe what I said next.

•••

"I think I wanna give this 'friends thing' a try."

A shocked expression formed on his face.

"What?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Yeah, I know. It's crazy and stupid but, we've been at each other's throats for like, three years? Aren't you.. tired? Don't you think it's time to let this thing die? I mean, like Quinn said to me, maybe we might have stuff in common. I don't know. It's better than hating each other, right?"

He stared at me for a couple seconds. And then he sighed.

"I guess, you're right. Maybe I'm tired of hating you. Even though you are annoying. But, the whole 'friendship thing' doesn't sound so bad, does it?"

I nodded in agreement, sniffing. I looked down at my shoes.

"Okay, we can give it a try."

I looked back up at him.

"Really?"

He held out his hand for me to shake it. "Yeah. Let's try not to fuck it up, alright?"

I chuckled and shook his hand firmly."

"Right."

I heard Quinn's voice behind me.

"I told you it would work." They said.

The bell rang.