chapter forty-six

It's nighttime and Dean is looking through newspapers in the front seat with a flashlight. Sam is lying in the backseat, asleep, and Evie is lying on top of him, her dog lightly clasped in her hold, also asleep.

Sam wakes up, seeing Dean with the flashlight.

"What are you doing?" Sam quietly asks.

"What's it look like I'm doing?" Dean asks.

"Like you're looking for a job." Sam says.

"Yahtzee." Dean says. Sam carefully sits up, holding Evie to his chest so she doesn't move to much. She stirs a little from the movement, but stays asleep.

"We just finished a job like two hours ago."

"Adrenaline's still pumping, I guess. So, what do you think? Cedar Rapids, Tulsa, or Chi-Town?"

"I am all for working. I really am. But you got us chasing cases nonstop for like a month now. We need sleep."

"Yeah, we can sleep when we're dead."

"You're exhausted, Dean."

"I'm good."

"No, you're not. You're running on fumes, and you can't run forever."

"And what am I running from?"

"From what you told me." Sam states, referring to how Dean told him about Hell. "Or we pretending that never happened?"

"Stratton, Nebraska. Farm town. A man gets hacked to death in a locked room inside a locked house. No signs of forced entry." Dean informs.

"Sounds like it does."

"Yes, it does." Dean nods. Sam sighs and gently lays back down, careful not to wake Evie up.

+++

They get to the house and go inside, Sam holding Evie's hand.

"Boy, three bedrooms, two baths, and one homicide. This place is gonna sell like hotcakes." Dean says as they make their way to the kitchen. "Hey, check this out." Dean knocks on a part of the wall to find it hollow.

"It's probably a dumbwaiter. All these old houses had them." Sam says.

"Know-it-all." Dean mutters.

"What?" Sam asks.

"What?"

"You said..."

"What?"

"You said he was a know-it-all." Evie pipes up, looking between the two.

"Exactly." Sam points to Evie with his free hand.

"Thanks, Evie. Remind me to never tell you a secret." Dean says, leaving the kitchen. Evie shrugs. They follow Dean and walk into a bedroom.

"Well, no bloodstains, fresh coat of paint, it's a bunch of bubkes." Dean says.

"Needle's all over the place." Sam says, looking at the EMF reader.