Chapter 3

The SkyWings herded Cloudburst through the sky, poking and jabbing her with their armored tails. With a sudden flash of aggression, Cloudburst bared her sharp white teeth in a growl. With a mental slap to the face, Cloudburst kept herself in check. Was her former personality angry? Was it fierce? She didn't want these soldiers to cast her from the Palace when she so desperately needed answers. 

They soon reached the entrance to the Palace, and Cloudburst was shoved along roughly through the hallways. Flashes of red and gold pricked the edges of Cloudburst's vision as dragons bustling about stopped to stare. Feeling uncomfortable at their scrutiny of her strange appearance, she ducked her head and folded her wings tight against her body.

After winding through long palace hallways that seemed like a maze to Cloudburst, they finally reached the throne room. Glistening veins of gold shot through the floor and walls reflected the glare of sunlight streaming though massive windows, dazzling Cloudburst's eyes. Queen Ruby perched neatly upon the cloud-shaped throne, her wings and unusually long neck held high. She peered down at Cloudburst with a look of quickly-concealed surprise. 

"Your Majesty." The guards bowed low, their snouts nearly scraping the ground, and Cloudburst did so as well; she didn't want to seem disrespectful. Ruby nodded her head, and the guards rose; Cloudburst followed suit, swallowing nervously.

"Aerie, Cormorant. Who is this?" The Queen's eyes were inquisitive as she scrutinized Cloudburst.

Aerie, the orange SkyWing who had snapped at Cloudburst, answered the Queen.

"This is Cloudburst, Your Majesty. She's here looking for Redmoon." The guard gave Ruby a pointed look that Cloudburst probably wasn't supposed to catch.

Ruby's eyes widened, and her forked tongue flicked in and out of her mouth in surprise. 

"What do you know about Redmoon, Cloudburst?" Ruby's voice was cool and commanding, her tone demanding an answer.

Cloudburst decided that honesty was her best bet in this situation, so she gave the Queen the whole truth. 

"Nothing substantial, Your Majesty," Cloudburst began carefully. "I woke up in a cave in your Kingdom with a nasty headache and cuts all over my body, and I can only remember my name and the names of two other dragons: Redmoon being one of them."

Ruby flared her massive wings, dark smoke pouring out of her nostrils. Cloudburst wondered if she had made a mistake, but Ruby settled down again with an obvious effort, emotions warring on her face. She began to speak, in a voice so soft Cloudburst could barely hear her:

"Redmoon is one of many students enrolled at Jade Mountain Academy. Redmoon disappeared three nights ago while he and a friend were following their clawmate Celeste. We've sent soldiers looking for him, but everyone has come back empty-taloned. Are you sure you can't remember anything more?"

Cloudburst blinked in surprise, startled. She'd no idea how closely entwined her story and Redmoon's were. And the friend that Ruby mentioned . . . could that be Mesa? Cloudburst met Ruby's boiling gaze, the Queen's intensity surprising considering that Redmoon was only half-SkyWing.