Chapter 4

Tanager left, flashing a small smile over his shoulder as went, after he finished cleaning and binding Cloudburst's wounds. Cloudburst went back to her bed, trying to make sense of her confusing thoughts. The memories of Redmoon seemed to be triggered when she imagined his face in detail. Cloudburst wondered if the same would happen if she tried to re-imagine Mesa's face.

Once more, Cloudburst calmed the roiling waters of her mind. This time, she dragged the image of grinning Mesa from the shadows. She pictured his kind, smiling eyes and his unusual scale patterns. More memories churned from the depths of her brain:

Mesa grinning at her and elbowing Redmoon with a hearty laugh.

Redmoon tackling Mesa with a playful growl as the two rolled across the ground, mock-fighting.

Mesa flicking his barbed tail up at someone who threatened his friends.

Mesa, eyes pleading, begging her not to leave him and Redmoon as they chased her through a violent storm.

Cloudburst opened her eyes. She knew now who these two dragons were: her best friends. But from where? How did she know them? When did she meet them? And more importantly, how and why did she lose them? Cloudburst sighed, feeling more confused and lost than ever.

I should focus on finding Mesa first. Ruby made it seem that Redmoon was the only dragon who had disappeared, so maybe Mesa is still out there somewhere.

I have to find them.

Cloudburst rose, stretched, and clicked over to the towering window, her ice-sharp claws scraping against the stone floors. The sun was just beginning to set, its dying rays spilling like fiery ink over the mountain peaks. She would have to wait until tomorrow to convince Queen Ruby to let her help search for Redmoon, or maybe to find Mesa. A knock at the door made Cloudburst jump, and she spun around, heart galloping. Slithering over to the door, she inched it open slowly, coming face-to-face with a scowling red SkyWing. His amber-brown eyes were cool and harsh, and he stared down at her with barely concealed contempt.

"Are you Cloudburst?" He asked gruffly.

"Y-yes," Cloudburst squeaked. Inwardly, she winced. 

You sound like a frightened mouse!

She stood up straighter, looking him square in the eyes. Forcing a steely, cold disinterest into her expression, Cloudburst growled softly.

"And who might you be?" She hissed.

The deep red SkyWing's face twisted in a series of disgruntled, outraged, and taken aback expressions. He quickly regained his composure and nearly snarled, "My name is Jasper, and I am Redmoon's father."

Cloudburst took a step back.

This was Redmoon's father?

"Why have you come to see me?" Cloudburst inquired, flicking her spiked tail. "Hasn't anyone told you I've lost my memory?"

Jasper growled, his snout bunching. "I came here to try to get answers about my son," he hissed. "Ruby informed me that you attended school with him for a time. I was wondering if you could at least tell me where you last saw him."

Cloudburst felt strangely defensive, a surge of indignation causing her snout to curl. She didn't feel like telling Redmoon's father anything, which was strange, because the dragon was obviously just concerned for his son.