discommode - chapter 21

She wishes that she named herself,

that way she could be beautiful

the way a Gloria

is

beautiful.

To have a lyrical name may have lead her to a more lyrical life,

instead of this one, which...

so far,

offered her only a steady stream of disappointment and regret.

Still, the optimistic Lauren waits (with great hope)

And....anticipation

for her actual,

real,

lyrical

life to begin.

discommode

verb

to cause inconvenience to; disturb, trouble, or bother.

"Can we get the rainbow bubbles?" Sara loves it when I take her to the drive-thru car wash

"Can we get the rainbow bubbles?" Sara loves it when I take her to the drive-thru car wash. She squeals with delight when the red-blue-green soap suds fall down onto the windshield like Rainbow Dash melting over ice.

I had to get out of the house. I spent the good part of this morning trying to persuade Mom to take her pills. It was mostly me reasoning on a loop, while she sat there watching me as if my forehead was projecting her favorite movie. I was putting on a one-woman show in her bedroom, and she was the polite, attentive audience member who didn't dare interrupt the performance.

The rest of the morning was spent arguing with Matty over seeing Dad for our weekly dinner scheduled for tonight.

"This will be our third one and he still hasn't apologized. I'm not going."

"What if tonight's the night?"

"It won't be." She stormed off to her room, which made Sara burst into hysterics.

So, in an effort to distract, here we are, enveloped in a kaleidoscope of multicolored foam.

"We should come here every day," Sara says.

"I think we need to give the car time to get dirty."

"Why? You take a shower every day."

"That's true."

"Are you dirtier than Mommy's car?"

"I guess I am."

I get out of the now shiny car and proceed to tidy up the insides by vacuuming. I'm bent down, fishing for junk between the seats when I'm startled by a guy's voice. "Hey, Lauren."