Chapter 01

"Jofus

"Jofus."

Rayla jerked her brow at the Skywing elf's introduction. He was around her age, a bit taller than her by an inch, with an ash blue skin littered with white henna markings and rune tattoos she found familiar on his bare arms. His midnight hair has framed his chiseled beard-free face really well, with uneven bangs failing to hide the nervousness on his forest green eyes.

He was wingless it seems, given how he slung his knapsack nonchalantly on his smooth back. The knee-length cloak he was wearing showed no protrusion below his spine that might have covered his paired forelimbs.

"That's a pretty weird name for an elf." the Moonshadow said as she eyed his four-fingered hand that he withdrew automatically when she declined his handshake.

"Ah, eh, m -my elven parents are very unconventional." he stammered, scratching his nape incessantly like it was his nervous tick. "S-so that's why I got Jofus. Yeah, my name. Jofus."

Rayla can smell his fishy lies easily from a distance.

"Stop giving this poor boy your murderous glares," their other companion bellowed as he slapped Jofus' back jokingly, causing the Skywing to stumble from his chair. "You can't blame him for cowering in fear at the Grim Reaper's presence."

The Moonshadow elf let out a snort when Jofus looked at her with green eyes like saucers.

She didn't know how exactly she earned the moniker Grim Reaper.

When she first heard the rumors, she had no idea that it was actually about her until someone screamed their lungs out of fear and fainted in her presence.

A recluse, powerful Moonshadow who brings death to anyone they meet and wears a scarf soaked with the blood of her enemies? She wanted to laugh at the absurdity of the claims.

"Let's cut to the chase, shall we?" Rayla leaned forward with folded hands and elbows resting on the table. "Why do we have a mage involved in this meeting, Bogoda?"

Bogoda, an Earthblood elf who happened to be the owner of the tavern that they were in, muttered, "Well, Jofus here knows the key that Viren was looking for - or has an idea where to find it."

Rayla averted her steely gaze towards the Skywing elf who nodded hastily.

"Where?"

He gulped audibly. "I'm sorry but I was instructed by Queen Zubeia - "

"Where?"

The Moonshadow elf almost balked at Jofus' sudden shift of demeanor, his forest green eyes voided with shyness. "In one of the caves in the Far Reaches, just the south of the Ruins of Elarion."

"And how did you know that the key is in there?"

"It's..." the Skywing shifted his gaze solemnly to the ground. "It's classified information."