Chapter 2

Set during the middle/end of 1x13 "T.R.A.C.K.S." 

The mission hadn't gone exactly to plan. The plan was to track a package that was being delivered to Ian Quinn on a train through the Italian countryside. They hadn't expected things on the train to go so bad. Coulson and Ward had been through a lot, trying to figure out what was even happening to begin with. May had been separated as well. She had been through some torture, but there wasn't really anything Melinda May couldn't handle. She was able to escape, take down the bad guys, and kill Russo before he could kill Coulson and Ward all on her own. The only thing that had May on edge was that Skye, Fitz, and Simmons were still on the train. The three youngest and least trained members of their team were on their own where Quinn's guys knew where they were. Deep down, she felt like something bad was going to happen. She was supposed to protect them, but she had to keep faith that they would be okay.

May sat on the lab table as Coulson finished up patching up her wounds. "It wasn't supposed to be a combat op," Coulson said. She could tell that Coulson was trying to hide his worry for the three kids he had grown to love and be extremely protective of, but he wasn't really doing a great job.

"They'll be fine," May said, trying to ease him a bit. "They can handle themselves." She was also saying that to ease herself. Sure, Skye had been training with Ward, but she wasn't exactly field-ready quite yet. May just had to tell herself that the three of them would be fine. They just had to be. She would be upset with herself if they weren't.

"Did he get you anywhere else?" Coulson asked, wanting to make sure his friend wasn't too hurt. May just scoffed, knowing that Russo had no chance against her. Coulson gave her a warm smile in return. The two agents had been friends for a really long time. Maybe there had been something more between the two of them in the past, but that was just it. It was in the past. Life moves on. Especially given the current situation between her and Ward. Maybe someday though.

"We need to reroute the plane," Ward said, making his presence known to the two senior agents. May wondered if he had heard Coulson and her conversation. "We just got word from SHIELD that the train stopped suddenly in the Italian countryside."

"What? Why?" Coulson, now on alert, questioned.

Ward shrugged his shoulders. "We'll find out soon. I'll set the coordinates. Touchdown in ten."

May began to get off from the lap table. "I'll come help." She was the pilot after all. She had to do something. She had to do something to make sure Skye, Fitz, and Simmons were alright.

"I got it," Ward replied harshly. May was shocked by this sudden outburst. Sure, they had slept together, but there wasn't really anything between them, right? She glanced back at Coulson, the only other person on the plane who knew about their status. He gave her a look before leaving her alone in the lab. Their conversation from not long ago echoed in her mind.

I trust you know what you're doing, and if it's a problem...

I'll end it.

May shook her head, needing to get her head back on the mission and the missing members of their team.

May, Coulson, and Ward eventually found where the train had stopped. "Parked here fifteen minutes ago," Ward assessed. "Agents on the ground have no idea why."

"Any sign of Fitzsimmons and Skye?" Coulson asked. 

"No."

May's breath was almost caught in her throat. Where were they? The three agents drew their attention to one of the train cars towards the back, which was where Skye and Fitz were supposed to be. In the window, it looked like the dirt had been wiped away, so someone could see through it. Without even thinking, May, Coulson, and Ward made their way to the train car.