Chapter 3

May's thoughts during 1x14 "T.A.H.I.T.I"

May had called ahead to the medical facility in Switzerland, informing them that they were coming in with an agent in critical condition. May wanted nothing more than to make Ian Quinn pay for what he had done to Skye. The image of Skye in the hyperbaric chamber replayed constantly in her mind. She felt completely helpless as Skye fought for her life. She prayed that Skye would make it out of this alright.

Luckily, May got to the medical facility in record time. Once the plane was landed, the team all rushed to help push the chamber out to the doctors. They all had pushed it to the door. Once there, Simmons and Coulson walked with the doctor, telling her everything that was going on with Skye. May, Ward, and Fitz just stood there helplessly before making their way to the waiting room.

After a couple minutes, Coulson and Simmons joined them. Ward, Simmons, and Fitz all took their seats on the chair and couch. May stood, feeling way too anxious to sit and relax. She clenched her fists, feeling so much rage towards Quinn, as she watched Coulson making calls and trying to get ahold of Fury.

"I'm here," Coulson spoke on the phone. "That's unacceptable. I need to speak to Director Fury immediately, please." There was no doubt that Coulson was getting super anxious himself. May saw the way he looked at Skye. He had begun to put himself into a father figure for her, whether he saw it or not.

"Why didn't I stop her?" Fitz asked, breaking the silence between the younger agents. "I could have..."

"As if you could stop Skye from doing anything she's set her mind to," Jemma reassured him. May nodded. It was true. Once something was on Skye's mind, she would do whatever it took to finish it or get to the bottom of it.

"I shouldn't have let her go after Quinn by herself. What was I thinking?" Fitz continued to blame himself.

"It's not your fault," Ward told him. "She shouldn't have been there. I'm her S.O. It's on me."

May sighed. The younger members of the team were shifting the blame on themselves when there was someone who was truly at fault. "The one to blame is the man who shot her, Ian Quinn," May asserted. "He's responsible." May had a slight hiss to her input, slightly showing her emotions that were getting harder to keep locked in as time passed where they didn't know how Skye was doing.

"Yes," Coulson said, still trying to get ahold of anyone who had answers. "The message is I have an agent dying, and there are questions only he can answer." Someone hung up on the other end, causing Coulson to slam his phone down on the coffee table. He took a breath, trying to keep calm. It was obvious he was struggling. They all were. Skye was truly the heart and soul of the team, and they all feared for her demise.

A couple of hours later, the doctor that had brought Skye to OR came out, hopefully with news on Skye's condition. The five remaining team members all stood from their seats, and Coulson slowly approached her. She had a rather somber look on her face, which told May that they weren't about to get good news.

"How is she?" he asked desperately.

The doctor sighed. "Not good." It was those words that sent both fear and range all throughout Melinda May. She clenched her fists once more, trying to keep calm. "The shots perforated her stomach and penetrated the large and small intestines. We resected what we could, but... there's been too much damage." May's breath became a little uneven as she heard what the doctor told them. 

"So what's next?"

"We can keep her comfortable, but you'll need to make a decision on whether or not you want to keep her on life support." So this was it? This was where Skye's journey, which had just begun, would be ending? She didn't deserve this, May thought to herself.