𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍|𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐒

BLAISE ZABINI

"Serpens Sanguinis"
The door to the Slytherin common room swung open and I begun the long decent into the dungeons below.

The Slytherin common room was a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceilings, from which round, green tinged lamps hung on thick iron chains.
A roaring emerald fire was crackling under an elaborately carved mantel adorned with a portrait of a silver serpent, and several familiar figures were silhouetted around it in carved mahogany chairs.

"Blaise!" Millicent beamed, beckoning me with a wave of her hand to come sit with with her before the fire. She shifted up on the leather love seat as I sat in the only empty seat besides her. "Where have you been?"

"I'm not even late?" I said with a frown, "I came straight from Divination."

"Still..." She fawned, placing a hand on my thigh that I quickly swiped off. "I was worried about you, we all were. We heard Umbridge lost her shit with your class this morning and didn't know if you'd been caught up in it."

I let out a low laugh as I deliberately said the words I knew would catch his attention, "It wasn't me. It was that girl, Mara Williams."

Instantly his entire body tensed as he sat up from where he had been laying with his head on Pansy Parkinson's lap, who pouted at the absence of affection, "What's wrong Draco?"

"What happened?" Asked Goyle grimly, shutting his book, though I highly doubted he had even been reading it in the first place. "That's the Dermstrang transfer right?"

"Yeah and you should've seen her today, she stood up to Umbridge and everything. That girl has a serious pair of balls." I grinned, unable to hold back a smile as I remembered how the entire class had held their breathe with morbid fascination the moment Mara dared talk back.
It was like watching a car wreck, everyone knew it was going to end badly, but yet we couldn't look away.

"Of course she did." Malfoy reclaimed his headspace on Pansy's thighs as she played absentmindedly with his pale hair. "She's getting to big for her own boots."

"I wouldn't be so sure..." My smile faded, "Looked to me like someone had tried to put her in her place, looked like she'd been in some sort of fight, and a bad one at that."

"What do you mean?" Millicent Bulstrode asked haughtily, shooting a look to Pansy. "She's only just got here, and now she's already starting shit... I think we should sort her out, don't you agree Pansy?"

I shrugged, "She had cuts and scratches all over her face, she was quite messed up."

I looked to see how Malfoy would react, but he didn't. He didn't even flinch.
-But as much as he tried to hide it I could see something simmering just below the surface, he just didn't dare show it as he spoke in a dangerously low tone that caused an acrid feeling of dread to tighten in the pit of my stomach.
"Find out who it was. If any of the Slytherins have been messing with her I want to know. Who's she dormed with?"

"Granger and Patil." Answered Crabbe instantly, evidently proud to be part of the conversation by the smug look on his fat face.

I shook my head, "They couldn't have done this." Malfoy nodded slightly, looking preoccupied as Pansy toyed with his hair lovingly.

Goyle scratched his thick skull, "What about Potter and Weasley?"

"No, Potters a pretentious bellend but he's not violent." Drawled Malfoy, the low lantern light doing nothing to soften his harsh features.
-But that was why the girls like Pansy and Millicent lusted after him so. Everything about him was hard and dangerous. "...And as for Weasly I doubt he even knows how to spell his own name without sounding it out."