Chapter 13

Reid was running before he could think again. His chest already hurt, a wincing pain shooting up from under his lungs. In this sterile environment, he could hear each of his footsteps bouncing around between the buildings. His breathing was loud, louder than he ever remembered. But not loud enough.

Of course you're running. Let others die first.

Reid shook his head. It wouldn't go away no matter what he did. And it was distinctly not his voice. He wasn't sure what the voice was exactly. It certainly thought things he would think about. Dark things, certainly. But it had its own intention and...personality? There was a pleasure it was drawing from all of this unfolding.

"Who are you?" Reid shouted into the air, stopping his run and checking back over his shoulder. He couldn't see Tim anymore or the monster on the building. He hadn't realized he had gone so far so quickly.

I'm Gilphorus, Damnation's Shadow.

Reid's hand snapped down to his pocket. This was unbelievable. Ask a phantom voice in your head who they were, they answer. Why hadn't he done that in the start? Damnation's Shadow sounded a lot like Shadow of the Damned.

"You're the Shadow of the Damned? You're my Twilight?"

Gilphorus made a sound, like a snort of disappointment. That's a mistranslation.

Mistranslation from what? Reid thought, noting that Gilphorus didn't respond since he didn't say anything out loud. That was strange. Either Gilphorus couldn't read his mind and just came through as a voice or it ignored him unless he spoke. This did confirm though that some component of Hollow Twilight was a game. You couldn't mistranslate another dimension.

That wasn't what mattered the most though. "Are you my Twilight or not?" Reid repeated.

I don't think you own me. Think of me more as the lingering thoughts you've always tried to bury.

"Do I get power or not?" Reid didn't have time for cryptic games with his head. He thought he could hear something in the distance, a metallic sound. He had to assume it was Tim in conflict. If this was a chance for him to fight back, he was going to take it. This was going to be his world.

Consider the darkness part of the bargain. And then Gilphorus laughed. It made Reid's skin crawl along the back of his neck, a creeping wave that rippled around his skull. His fingers tensed involuntarily and he squeezed his eyes shut.

Reid's run caught up with him all at once. He felt a cramp in his calf and his throat burned for air. He started to pant as the adrenaline wore off, leaving him with nothing but his out-of-shape self. His vision went briefly blurry and he blinked it away. Gilphorus's laugh had faded and Reid's mind was silent once again. Everything was silent.

And then another clash of metal. Reid grabbed at his knees for stability, trying to recover. He wanted to look up and check back on Tim, he did. He just couldn't. His body wouldn't respond, wouldn't move. It demanded he stay put and recover. This was its way of reminding him to never do that again or to start going to the gym.

"I fucking hate my body." Reid's grip tightened on his knees. He wasn't fast or strong or impressive or interesting. He played some video games and that was it and here he was in his ideal world and he was still held back by a C in gym.

Who needs one anyways? Reid tried to ignore Gilphorus but it was difficult when they were in your own head. He was finally able to get standing again, his lungs calming slightly. He could still feel a twinge of pain in his stomach, reminding him he shouldn't start sprinting again.