(3) Broken Meetings

Peyton

Her hand always found that damn necklace. Now, every lecture, every thought, every slight feeling suggestive of Aubree had Peyton gripping the thing like her life depended on it. And she still hadn't told Jess that Aubree was back. She wondered how Jess would react.

It wasn't like Aubree was her favourite person.

And then there was Sebastian. Balls, Sebastian. He'd been mad - madder Peyton had every been at Aubree, and he was determined to go and see Aubree for himself. Peyton had managed to disuade him.

It made her sad that Sebastian was so angry with Aubree, Peyton would admit it. But, well, that made her hate herself, because she shouldn't feel sorry for Aubree, and that hate turned to resentment, and that resentment turned towards Aubree, which made Peyton feel sad again. It was an endless cycle and she was caught in it, like a fish floudering on a hook.

Her eyes wandered to Aubree, once again. She was smiling as she talked, and her arms did wide expressive gestures that make Peyton's heart ache. She still couldn't believe that she would see Aubree almost every day. After a year of not seeing her - here she was. After a year of wondering - her thoughts had been answered.

She didn't know whether to be happy or sad, and those conflicted emotions built within her with every passing day. Sure, it had only been four days, but four days of Aubree was a lot to take in. She needed time.

Maybe it was good Aubree was here. It meant, as Nicole had said, she could confront her demons. And, then, maybe she could - maybe she could finally move on.

The thought didn't make her as happy as she wanted it to.

"Hey, Peyton." Nicole said as they were packing up. "Look, I know we've only know each other for - well, not long at all, really, and that you still have a thing for Aubree and that - look, I'm just wondering if you'd like to go out. With me. This Saturday. I was thinking I could, I don't know, be your rebound."

Peyton laughed and shoved her things carelessly in her bag. "Oh, Nicole, you're really attractive, and you're great, really, but I don't think I could do that to you - I'd like to go out with you cause I think it would be fun, but I don't think I'm very good company right now."

The two of them made their way to the door, and Nicole shrugged. "Eh, well, I just thought it'd be fun, you know? Nothing serious, just a chill date sorta thing. I'm not expecting anything, I just thought it would help you. And it would definitely be in my favour."

"I -" Peyton looked back to Aubree. She was wiping her board clean, and her short red hair swayed beautifully as she did. "Sure." she said, looking back to Nicole. "I don't see what harm it would do."

Nicole smiled. "Great! I'm going to take you mini golfing, like some silly cliche. It'll be a laugh."

Peyton felt her chest grow that little bit lighter, and she smiled, too. "I think it will be." she said, "You know, I really think it will."

*

"You agreed to go on a date with Nicole?" Sebastian said, shaking his head in disapproval. "Oh, Peyton, Peyton, Peyton, what are you doing?" He crossed his arms as he stepped further into Peyton's room, who was typing ferociously on her computer.

"What?" she said, "She said it would be chill; I thought why not? She's nice, she's pretty, and she seems to understand me."

"And again you amaze me with your lack of perception." Sebastian replied. Peyton rolled her eyes and looked back to her screen, absentmindedly skipping to facebook and scrolling down the pointless newsfeed. Jess had posted another status about how awesome she was finding university - Peyton was glad she was enjoying herself, but really?