Chapter 32 - Rhys

Wednesday
September 12, 2018

"Are you in love with Armand?"

They are sitting on Rhys' couch with their homework spread out on the coffee table in front of them, and the question just topples out of Rhys' mouth without conscious decision. Thommy freezes next to him, eyes widening as he turns to Rhys and gapes, lost for words.

Rhys doesn't take the words back even though maybe he should. But the thought has been eating away at him, doubting every intimate moment they shared despite his best friend's assurances that it was real. It's stupid, Rhys knows it, too. Thommy would never hurt him like this, not only because he knows the kind of shit Rhys goes through on a near daily basis thanks to his family, but also because Thommy might act like a clown most of the time but he is infallibly loyal to those he considers his own people. Rhys knows he is one of those people.

"Rhys, it's been like ten days but half the fucking school is crushing on the guy," Thommy counters, and Rhys has a front row view of his expression turning from shocked to determined. "You and I included."

Rhys' first reaction is to refute the words without second thought. He even opens his mouth but the words get stuck in his throat and no sound leaves through his lips.

Thommy is wrong.

He doesn't feel anything for Armand besides irritation and grudging respect. The way he has been trying to unearth the man's secrets and background is just precaution.

Except...

"No."

Thommy smirks, his gaze sharp and so knowing that Rhys' hand snaps out before he fully can realize what he's doing, fingers latching onto the thick long locks and pulling Thommy's head back to expose his throat. He spares half a second to wonder when he managed to kneel on the couch and loom over his best friend, but he's attention is more focused on watching the way Thommy's Adam's apple bobs around the way he heavily swallow around whatever he wanted to impulsively say.

"You can deny it all you want, Cielito, but I know you better than you know yourself most of the time. I see the way you follow Dim-A with your eyes, you're so thirsty for his attention that even a blind person would see it," Thommy says, showing no hint of fear even as his voice grows husky.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Rhys grits out, his grip tightening enough to earn a weak moan from Thommy. "I asked if you are in love with Armand."

"And I am telling you that we are both half mad for the bastard," Thommy replies, pushing into Rhys' touch as he surges forward and pulls Rhys on top of him for a messy kiss that's more teeth than anything. "The guy is mystery walking ridiculously long legs for such a shrimp and wrapped in this adorably badass package that you just need to get your hands on," he goes on once their lips part. He's practically mouthing the words right against Rhys' lips, his breathing harsh. "Of course, I'm crushing on Dim-A but I'm not idiotic enough to believe this is any type of love. Or that he would look at me or even you as anything but his student. The guy isn't that scum Mulligan."

Rhys grinds his teeth together so hard his jaw twinges in pain. He wants to snap at Thommy that he doesn't care about Armand and demand him to forget about the man as well but the lie sits way too heavily on his tongue for him to utter it. It would be useless anyway because no matter how hard he wants to deny it, Thommy knows him.

Apparently, Thommy knows him better than he knows himself.

"So what? You'll use me as his stand-in until he finally sees the light?" he growls, the urge to do something absolutely savage and sink his teeth into Thommy's long neck until he draws blood making his teeth hurt. He is no one's fucking rebound, replacement or stand-in.