Tutor

Karina was almost a normal third grader, she loved to play, had lots of friends, and went to school five days a week. Her long black hair was always in a messy ponytail, and her brown eyes shone with innocence.

One day after a long six hours of school, she was sitting at the table, trying to make sense of a book that she was assigned to read. Karina stared hard at the page, yet she only saw squiggles on the paper. The book was short, and there were black and white pictures too, but none of that helped at all.

"Mommy! I need help," Karina whined across the house.

"Just a second! John made a big mess in his room," responded her mom from baby John's room.

"Daddy! I need help," Karina tried, looking in the direction of the garage, where her dad was working on fixing the hole in the wall of his daughter's playhouse.

"I'm busy, Karie. I can't help you with your book right now," replied Karina's dad.

Karina laid her head on the table and cried. Having ADHD and dyslexia did not help when Mrs. Lunt taught her 1st grade class to read. Karina hadn't paid much attention, and when she had, she didn't pay a lot. Therefore, Karina had never learned to read.

A tear trickled down the little girl's cheek. How would she ever finish her homework if she couldn't read?

Karina wanted to impress her teacher, Mr. Hunter, so that she could go to the party at the end of the year. But if she didn't know how to read, she might have to stay inside and work instead! That would be a bad thing. Her mom and dad would be disappointed, and the kids at school would make fun of her.

Karina decided that she should try to learn to read, but she would need help. The little girl sat for a second, fidgeting.

"Oh! I have a good idea!" Karina jumped up, smiling as she ran down the hall to her mom.

"Karina, I already said this. I can't help you with your work right now," sighed Karina's mother.

"I know, mommy. But how about Tommy! My babysitter!"exclaimed Karina excitedly. "He's so good at learning stuff, and I bet that he could help me read!"

"Tommy? I guess that I could call him and ask if he can come and tutor you. Now go and do your other homework."

The little girl nodded, skipping out and humming. A little bit later, there was a knock on the door. Karina rushed to open it, delighted to find Tommy standing there, holding a bag.

"Where's my favorite Karina?" Tommy smiled and extended his arms for a hug. Karina gave him a hug and smiled. "Are you ready to learn to read?"

Karina smiled and clapped her hands together.

"I can't wait!"

***

Weeks later, Karina stood up in class, her book held in her hand. All eyes were on her.

She looked at the book in her hand, and focused. She sounded out the words in her head, like Tommy had taught her, and began to read.

Definitely not one of my best works, I get it if you just skip over this one. I wrote it in 6th grade, and I wasn't into it so I finished it earlier this year (that's a verry long gap, by the way. Like, years.)

Thank you and GOODNIGHT!