Without You Things Go Hazy

Sakura is unable to explain the warm, tingly feeling in her stomach as she and MJ walk up to the house. The music only seems to get louder with every step. Ahead of them, she can recognize Betty Brant chattering excitedly ("Do you think Spider-Man's gonna show up!?") to Liz who flicks her eyes to the newcomers and smiles.

She waves feebly to the senior before MJ drags her to the kitchen. Her curls disappear behind the refrigerator door. "You want anything?"

"No thank you," Sakura declines. She rubs her arms while looking around. In the distance, a crash can be heard followed immediately by laughter. "So… This is a party."

She sees Flash bobbing his head to the music and fiddling with the controls. The stream of partygoers don't seem to be decreasing. Alcohol is passed around.

"Don't see what the fuss is about, if you ask me," MJ tells her. She rinses an apple and bites into, looking behind the shorter girl. "Look who's here."

Sakura whips her head around. She first sees Ned and his hat, then she sees Peter. The butterflies return full force. "H-Hey!" Her voice squeaks.

"Can't believe you guys are at this lame party," drones MJ.

Peter locks eyes with Sakura, both of them struck frozen for some reason. The spell is broken when Peter cracks a smile at her, which she returns.

Ned looks at MJ, bemused. "You're here too."

MJ raises an eyebrow. "Am I?" She says mysteriously, then leaves with a crunch of an apple.

Sakura doesn't want to leave yet. She wants to stay. Here. With him. But a voice calls out to the two boys and she feels her feet carry her next to MJ.

Sighing, she follows her friend to the couch. "You're right, this is a lame party."

MJ bumps her shoulder with Sakura's as comfort. "Just talk to him. Please. I cannot stand another day with you guys gazing longingly after each other."

"I don't gaze after him!" Sakura denies, her ears resembling tomatoes. Her eyes dart after the brown-haired boy for a second, but he's too busy talking to Liz to notice. "Besides, he keeps on avoiding me."

They both wince when Flash starts taunting Peter. They watch as the latter eventually leaves.

"Well this has been a complete waste of my time," MJ mumbles.

Sakura thinks the same silently, but outwardly flashes her friend a smile. "The night is young, MJ." She dashes off to the kitchen.

MJ furrows her eyebrows as the half-Japanese girl hands her a red solo cup filled with alcohol. "This is so unlike you. Are you okay?"

Shrugging her shoulders, Sakura tilts her head back and drinks it all in one gulp. She beams at MJ. "See? I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

MJ begins to say something ("Wha-") but then Sakura snatches her cup and gulps it down as well. She regards her friend with curious eyes. Already, the short girl is back with more alcohol - only this time she brought a whole bottle. MJ's eyebrows shot up to her hairline. "Woah, Saku-"

"Relax, would you?" Sakura pours herself another cup. "I honestly don't feel tipsy."

"Sakura, don't be a dumbass over some boy! This is the first time you've ever drank, and your parents would kill you if you go home like this."