Part 2

You frantically clawed at the remaining parts of the bridge, but it all started to crumble down, taking you with it.

"No!" Kíli yelled, rushing towards the edge.
His yelling alerted the rest of the company, most of them turning around to see what the fuss was about.

"What's wrong, Kee?" Fíli yelled all the way from the front. They had reached the edge of the forest and were already busy setting up camp.

"Kíli!" Thorin yelled when he didn't answer.

Fíli watched his brother drop to his knees, looking over the edge of the gully. Nori and Dori soon joined him, gesturing wildly to each other.

"What in Durin's name are they doing?" Thorin asked him. "Did someone fall down?"

Fíli did a quick headcount, and to his horror he realized there was one person missing. They saw Kíli slowly lowering himself over the edge, confirming their suspicions.
His first reaction was to look for you, and when he couldn't find you, his heart sunk.

"It's Y/N..." Fíli realised in shock, "Y/N!!"
He threw his pack to the side and ran back to the bridge as fast as his legs could take him, ignoring his uncle's cries. The only thing that mattered to him at that moment was you.

In the meantime Kíli had lowered himself to the small ledge you were lucky enough to fall on. It was only a few yards and the undergrowth that was covering the side provided enough material to climb down without a rope.
"Hold on, Y/N! I'm almost there," he assured you. To his relief he saw you were still moving, and nothing seemed wrong at first sight.
"I'm okay, it's just my leg that's stuck. These things are heavier than they seem."
Most of the broken logs had fallen into the river, but some of them fell down on the ledge with you, crushing your leg. You probably had some cuts and bruises too, but those were the least of your worries.
You groaned when you tried to pull your foot from under the bridge pieces, ignoring Nori and Dori's cries to keep still.
The thing that was hurt the most though, was your pride. You had promised them you wouldn't be a burden, that you could take care of yourself. And the first to be injured on the quest was you. You would laugh at the irony of it all if you weren't so scared of the consequences. Thorin would probably leave you in the first town you would come across.

Kíli hopped down on the ledge and started removing the logs that crushed your leg.
"How is she?" you heard someone yell. When you looked up, you saw several heads sticking out over the edge.
"I'm fine!" you yelled back, irritation clear in your voice. You hated to be the center of attention.
Luckily both Fíli and Kíli knew this, and Fíli took it upon himself to send everyone back to camp except for Oin.
Kíli lifted the last one, and you pulled your foot towards you. He let the log drop with a thud.

"What's the damage?" he asked with a big grin, but his eyes looked worried.
You clutched your foot, it was completely numb because the log had cut off the blood flow. There was also this dull pain that started to spread in your ankle towards your foot, but you shrugged it off.
"Nothing, I'm fine," you reassured him, but Kíli didn't buy it.
"I'll carry you, it's a long way up," he offered, pointing to the edge. Fíli let a rope down, so he and Oin could pull the both of you up.
"I can do it myself."
"Y/N, until Oin can look at your foot I'm going to carry you whether you like it or not. I'm not taking any risks," he said, throwing Fíli a knowing look.

He wrapped the rope around his wrist and grabbed it, giving it a small tug. He opened his other arm for you and lifted his eyebrow.
"Are you coming?"
You got up carefully, trying to avoid that one ankle so as to not give you away. The pain was getting worse with each passing second.
Kíli wrapped his arm around your waist and told you to wrap your arm around his shoulder for support.
"Oh, Fíli is going to love this," he murmured to himself when you snuggled into his side.
"What?" you asked him, not catching what he was saying.
"Hold on to me as tight as you can!"

Fíli and Oin pulled the both of you up in no time. When you reached the top of the gully, Fíli took you out of his brother's arms, wrapping an arm around your waist and under your knees.
"Easy, mimûna, I've got you," he cooed, planning to carry you bridal style to the makeshift campsite. Oin was already probing at your ankle but you weren't having any of it.
"I can walk, you know. Seriously, I'm fine," you swapped Oin away. "You don't have to baby me!"
Fíli put you back on the ground, raised his hands in surrender and chuckled.
"Fine, go on then."
You raised your chin and huffed. This would hurt, but you were tough. It was only about a 100 yards to the camp.
You placed your injured foot first, and the minute you put your weight on it, a shooting pain shot through your ankle and leg and your knee buckled.
Two strong arms caught you in time, and a low voice whispered in your ear.
"You were saying?"
Fíli swooped you back into his arms and carried you to camp, a grinning Kíli in his wake.

Back in camp you tried to minimize your injury, terrified Thorin wouldn't want you in his company anymore. You reassured everyone that you were fine over and over again.
Oin proved you wrong when he took off your boot and a high-pitch scream escaped your mouth. Did he have to be so brutal? A little tenderness never killed anyone, you groaned internally.
Three pairs of eyes followed Oin's every move. Every time you flinched when he hit a particular painful or sensitive spot Fíli held his breath.

Kíli patted his shoulder. "She'll be fine."
"I know," he smiled gratefully at his little brother, but flinched when he heard you whimper.
"Careful, Fee, someone might notice," Kíli sang teasingly when he went to sit with the others, leaving him with you and Oin. He couldn't resist wiggling his eyebrows when he sat down on the ground next to Thorin and Balin.

Oin was in the middle of bandaging your ankle when Thorin stood up. Everyone went quiet and kept their eyes trained on him while he made his way towards you.
"Her ankle is severely sprained, but not broken," Oin began explaining, "I've put a bandage around it for support, but she won't be able to walk on it for a few days I'm afraid."
This was it, you thought. For you, the quest would end here. You couldn't walk, and if someone had to support you the entire time, you'd become the burden you were trying so hard not to be.
"How far is it to the nearest village?" Thorin's voice rang over the campsite, asking no one in particular. You closed your eyes in defeat.
"You mean to leave her behind?" Bilbo asked, eyes wide.
There was some protest going around in the camp, mostly from the two princes.
Fíli jumped up. "We are not leaving anyone behind!"
"Fíli, don't be foolish," Thorin snapped.
Just like Kíli, he hadn't missed the looks his nephew gave their female companion. Fíli let his heart take over to reason, a dangerous thing to do. He will understand eventually, Thorin thought.
"I will carry her if I must!"
"You can not carry her all the way to the Lonely Mountain," Thorin argued.
"Watch me," Fíli threw back.

Before things could escalate, Bofur spoke up, "I'll help."
"So will I. We'll take turns," Kíli quickly followed his example.
"Aye!" To everyone's surprise Dwalin rose to his full height. You've never really interacted much with Dwalin, since he was against you joining the company and you didn't want to annoy him too much. So him standing up for you now, took you by surprise.

You had watched the interaction between the dwarves with a small heart. Fíli going against his Uncle, no, his King's wishes in front of the company was unheard of, and you didn't want to be the reason behind their falling out.
"You really don't have to do this, I-"
"Nonsense," Fíli interrupted you. "Let's face it, Y/N, you're one of us. And we don't leave one of our own behind. Ever."
He looked at Thorin when he said his last word, challenging him to disagree. But to his surprise his uncle agreed with him, a tiny glint of mirth in his eyes.
"So it shall be, everyone will take their turn in carrying Y/N until her ankle is healed."

A/N: Thoughts?