Chapter 13 - Difficult Conversations

"I'm ready."

Severus nodded, standing up from his chair and sending out a wordless patronus. The silvery doe cantered a short circle around the man before disappearing through the hospital wing door.

"They'll be here in a minute or so." Severus told Harry, who was still curled up near the head of the bed, fiddling with the bunched up sheet in his lap. "Are you in any pain?" He asked, watching as the boy shifted, wincing slightly as he did so.

"No," Harry answered softly. "Madam Pomfrey gave me a pain potion before you came. My next dose is in 3 hours." He nodded towards the vials sitting on the bedside table.

The two fell silent as the hospital wing doors opened and Madam Pomfrey, Professor McGonagall, Remus, Sirius and the headmaster entered. Harry went pale, his hands beginning to shake as the group came closer to his bed.

"Does everyone need to be here?" He asked, his voice wavering slightly. His face held a slightly greyish tinge, and he looked up at Severus anxiously, his eyes darting from him to the other occupants of the room and back again.

Severus looked briefly up at the others, taking in their expressions, before answering Harry's question. 

"No. Poppy will need to be here in order to ask questions relating to your injuries. Anyone else you feel comfortable talking to about the matter will also stay." Harry's thin shoulders relaxed, and he let out an almost silent breath of relief.

Sirius looked ready to object, but Dumbledore placed a restraining hand on his shoulder, sending him a piercing look that made the younger man swallow his protests. Severus nodded appreciatively at the Headmaster, grateful for the man's intervention. Albus was aware of the delicate nature of the situation, and realised that Severus was the best person to handle it. 

The others would be informed of everything they found out anyway- the conversation would have to be recorded for official purposes- it was just a matter of making sure that Harry was comfortable enough to reveal the truth about his home life.

***

Harry looked between each of the adults, his gaze lingering on Sirius and Remus as he weighed his decision. He liked both of them, though he could not yet say that he loved them, and he was hopeful that they might care about him in return. He didn't think he could bear to see the disgust and hate on their faces when they realised what a Freak he really was. Snape already hated him, even though his recent actions seemingly contradicted that fact, and he himself had admitted to having received similar treatment. Though he couldn't possibly be a Freak like Harry was, maybe he would be more understanding. In any case, his reaction would hurt much less than that of his fathers two best friends.

"Could you stay?" Harry asked hesitantly, peering up at his professor through his messy fringe of black hair. In doing so, Harry missed the hurt look that crossed Sirius' face before being quickly masked by a look of indifference.

***

Severus looked down at the boy sitting on the hospital bed in surprise. Surely he hadn't heard the boy correctly? Surely he wouldn't want to confide in his loathsome potions professor, the man who had done his best to ensure that James' son was as miserable as he had been? And yet, as the green eyed boy stared up at him imploringly through tangled hair, he realised that it was true.

"If that is what you want." Severus answered at last, re-taking his seat beside the bed. Harry nodded, tentative but steadfast in his decision.

"Well then," Albus intervened. "I do believe the rest of us should make ourselves comfortable in Poppy's office for the time being, if you are agreeable Poppy?"