Part 13

I make my way toward the main doors. It is as silent as death in this house. A complete contrast to where I have just come from. Sighing silently under my breathe I open the doors and step out into the hallway. I wonder why he has forbidden me to enter the surrounding trees. What is it that he could be hiding?

Taking a few steps away from the door, I look around carefully, making sure that there is nobody watching me. I have no idea how large these grounds are but something keeps telling me a dark secret is buried here. I am determined to find out what it is.

Stepping off the last step I make a dash toward the nearest line of trees. I need to do this quickly.  Do not ask me how I know this. I just do.

I turn to look back at the home I have just left from. I am standing at the base of a tall white oak tree. It looks very old and is very tall. Glancing up I see the same woman as before. She stares down at me and for the first time I notice that she is blind. 

She motions with her right index finger for me to follow her. Something tells me that I need to listen. Something tells me that there is something important she needs to show me. Something tells me my life is about to take a turn and it might not be the happy ending I imagined. 

With great haste I step up onto the lowest branch and pull myself up. It does not take me long to reach where the strange woman remains seated. She tilts her head at me and then looks back toward the home I have just come from. I follow her gaze to see my husband with one of his servants following close behind him. They are to far away to hear what they are saying. Except the expressions on their faces are of worry, fear, anger, and panic. I wonder what they are so worked up about.

'It is about you. They are worried for where you have gone. They fear it is in the trees.'

I hear her whisper like voice inside of my head and for a moment almost start screaming. Then I remember they must not find me. They must not know that I am up here. Something would happen. Something that can not be described in words. Something horrid.