LEARN TO BEAT THE WINTER BLUES

Beat the Winter Blues Before they Begin.

Let us talk about staying motivated during seasonal changes. Ever heard the statement "he or she has the winter blues?' The winter blues is a nickname for seasonal affective disorder or most commonly known as seasonal depression. Seasonal Depression is a form of mood disorder that shows up every year during fall, worsening during winter and changing to a manic state in the spring. In layman's terms, it is a winter hibernation. All motivation is lost as the season begins to change, mood switches drastically and the entire world shuts down in the mind of those affected for several months. Many people go undiagnosed with seasonal depression, they just chalk it up to winter laziness. Seasonal affective disorder is a quite common mental health illness that is rarely discussed, however, can destroy a life all in a matter of months. Any progress towards bettering yourself as a person, physically, mentally, and emotionally goes down the drain, you lose the motivation to care about the progress you have put in. You hardly show up to life, letting time slip through your fingertips and positive life opportunities pass without a care. Ever notice how motivated you feel come January 1st, but just a few weeks later your mind shifts back to an unmotivated hibernating bear? Well, I am here to tell you that it is a mind trick; you feel spring coming and your mind and body are excited to welcome it, but as a few weeks pass by the spring sunshine doesn't arrive, so you naturally crash and burn. It's the same feeling as when you drink an energy drink, feel extra motivated and in tune, then your body crashes, almost giving off a feeling of being sick. New Year's resolutions are marketed throughout Cities, States, and Nations. As a fitness instructor, previous manager of dozens of health clubs, health sales rep, and coach I will tell you this is the biggest money-making month for the year entire year. Potential clients are target marketed to change their life starting January 1st. I target market as well, marketing health benefits during the weeks leading up to New Year, not because I want to be a sneaky sales rep, but because the world has been taught that January 1st is the day you finally show up to reach your goals. Helping people change their lives for the better physically, mentally, and emotionally is a passion I own, I love my job. So of course, I am going to reach out to as many potential clients as possible, doing everything in my power to keep them motivated past that two-week manic, extra motivated time period of New Year. Now, want to know why you lose that motivation within those few weeks? Because for a short period of time you become manic, or overly motivated, but as January persists without spring weather appearing your mind begins to retract and crash. There are several ways to overcome seasonal affective disorder, some we can put in play and some we will practice in the spring.

Am I a psychologist? Nope, sure enough, I am not. Am I a doctor? Not even close, but as you know I have struggled with depression, anxiety, PTSD, and yes, seasonal affective disorder most of my life. Once upon a time, I would have been completely embarrassed to admit those faults, I was built with strength, and to never show my hand of weaknesses to the outside world. However, after years of putting the work in, I learned that I cannot expect myself to be available to help others win the war inside their mind if I cannot be honest about mine and how I overcome it daily. Seasonal depression affects people in different ways. Some being sad, some become numb, some become tired, and so on. I had no idea that I was suffering from a seasonal disorder until one winter I almost gave up. I landed myself in a situation that almost took my life, however, I had a saving grace of a best friend that pulled me off that seemingly never-ending ledge and walked me back to reality. It was at that very moment that I came to the realization that the universe thought she had jokes, she added some seasonal sadness into my beautiful mix of mess and confusion, like adding the cherry on top of the already too sweet of a Sunday.

Alright! I AM DONE RAMBLING; I'LL GET TO THE POINT!!!

Check out the symptoms below according to Medscape.com. and ask yourself if you can relate. Then take a look at the list of ways that can help you fight through your winter blues.