Last Summer Whisper (KwonChaeng)

Last Summer Whisper
KwonChaeng

Warm.

The afternoon breeze still feels the same as it was five years ago.

Kwon Eunbi roamed her eyes around the oddly familiar street. Except for the new establishments around, the old street gave her a sense of nostalgia. It was surely refreshing to go back to her hometown. For five years, she basked along the bright city lights of a foreign country and woke up to the bustling sounds of the busy vehicles traversing the wide road with eagerness. She got used to the hustle and bustle of the city quickly but she always misses this kind of calm, relaxing atmosphere of rural areas.

After all, maybe it was a good choice to come back.
Or maybe not...?

Eunbi suddenly felt anxious when she remembered the reason why she is here today. She was hesitant at first but the longing to see this person was greater than any emotion she currently feels. But there’s no doubt that she’s afraid that she might not show up.

It was her fault anyways— for suddenly disappearing without leaving a word...

I wonder... does she still look the same?
Is she still wearing the same old jeans that she used to wear all the time?

There wasn’t a single day that Eunbi didn’t think about her. Her mind was filled with what-ifs, with unanswered questions... because she regretted that day when she left without telling her where she’s going and why she needs to go there.

She probably won’t show up...

That was her biggest fear now. But she could do nothing but hope that she will.

Eunbi stopped walking as soon as she saw a familiar sign. The entrance was still the same as it was when she last went here. Her heart is starting to beat faster and her hands suddenly became sweaty. With crossed fingers, she entered the shop, hoping that she’d get to meet her again...

※※※

"All these many-coloured feelings fell... like light on a black surface; producing no change, meeting no return."

- Catharine Maria Sedgwick

※※※

Sitting alone by that same old spot but wearing a more formal set of clothes than before, the girl suddenly turned to look at her. Their gazes met in an instant and a sudden electric feeling ran throughout her all body. It was as if her heart skipped a beat. It was the same gaze that she was yearning to see. It was very unlikely of her but she nervously approached the girl with a shy smile.

Eunbi sat on the seat in front of the girl who can only glance at her every once in a while. It was getting hard for the two of them  to maintain eye contact nor to start a conversation. The atmosphere turned awkward immediately but Eunbi quickly tried to brush the tense atmosphere off by finally speaking a word.

"It's been quite a long time, eh?" She said as she tried to read the unfamiliar expression on Chaeyeon's face.

"Around... four... no, five years." The other girl finally looked at her. Eunbi was suddenly confused when she saw her eyes giving off a hint of sadness. "Where have you been?"

Chaeyeon was definitely trying her best to not look sad or bothered but Eunbi could see right through her.

"I'm sorry." These are the only words that came out of Eunbi's mouth. For a moment, she looked away because she felt as if her tears are about to pour down. "I'm really sorry."