13

~*~

Asher Anderson

The sound of urgent knocks causes me to wake up. There's sunlight peeking in through the curtains, and I realize that it's past six from the clock on my dresser.

It takes me a moment to get up before I trudge towards the door. Mom stands with a tired look, her brows furrowed. "You're not going to school today, meet us downstairs when you're ready."

She doesn't sound angry, but my mom has the tendency to react to the opposite of how you would expect. Both of my parents don't deal with things by yelling or getting upset. We talk things through and fix it that way.

This is my mess though, I should have noticed that Melissa wasn't right. She seemed to be close to Zoey so I trusted her. Since it was the four of us for a while, none of us saw anything odd in being friends with the new girl.

And after the two nights where I told her my life story, and the one that I was unconscious at, she blackmailed me with it. Brody tried to get her to drop it, and he never gave up on getting me to tell someone. My parents kept my adoption private for a reason and I wanted to keep it that way.

Even if it meant losing my friendship with Zoey. The lie that Melissa fed her seemed to keep her away. Although I found myself wanting to confess to the three of them often. I didn't just lose Zoey, I lost four close friends who believed her lies as well.

The shower seemed to help with the throbbing headache due to lack of sleep. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't taking my time. Dreading the conversation that waits for me downstairs.

Once I'm dressed, I send Zoey and Brody a quick message. Telling them that I'll talk to them later. A smile makes its way to my face at her concern.

She's not one to wake up early for school, which means that she only did it to check up on me. Emily even wondered if she should book a flight to be with us, but I told her we were fine.

I make my way to the living room, the silence causes each step to sound louder.

Our living room is decorated in such a specific way, the perks of having parents in real estate and interior design. With gray tones on the walls and white leather couches that I have always considered to be a risky choice.

Dad notices me first, straightening up beside mom. "Take a seat." He motions to the couch across from them.

I don't argue with him, slumping down. "Good morning," I say, their clothes still being sleepwear which isn't normal for them.

Mom looks stressed, her blonde hair tied up in a knot. She's not in her usual business outfit, making breakfast and lighting up when I walk in.

Dad raises an eyebrow, causing me to tense, here it comes. "Do you happen to know why we're on the news?" He questions.

"Are we?" I ask, placing a hand on my chin. "Huh."

Mom rolls her eyes, rubbing her temples. "Asher." She mumbles.

I sigh, deciding to just admit to it. "I stupidly told someone two years ago, they blackmailed me. As you can see.."

"And you know who did it?"

I nod, "Melissa, who I'm sure you remember." I tell them, I can see the surprise in my dads face. Although my mom sighs at her name.

With pursed lips, she gives me a blank stare. "The girl I told you to be careful with?"

That's the one, she knew before I did. I was fifteen, stubborn and obviously an idiot.

My head hangs low as I realize how badly I screwed up. "You should have told us," Dad tells me, I glance up to see his expression soften.