14

~*~

My date with Asher is today, I'm more excited than nervous. Knowing that this is a step forward for us has helped with the doubt that I was struggling with. Not for my feelings, it's more about that small part of me that fears for what Melissa could do.

It's only been two days and I haven't heard from her so far. Since she was suspended from school, no one has spoken to her.

I lay my outfit out on the bed, a cropped beige knitted sweater, with high waisted jeans. We're both laid back, and doing something extravagant, especially during this weather is out of the question. We're grabbing something to eat and probably just hanging out afterward.

And to me, that's a perfect date. I would even love just watching a movie in my living room with takeout.

Checking my phone to make sure I have enough time to get ready, I send Paige and Scarlett a short response. They helped me with my clothes, or else I would have gone with something way too casual.

The sound of a door slamming outside causes me to stop what I'm doing. Peeking through the blinds to the sight of a familiar red car.

My heart drops at my fear coming true. I hear the doorbell ring and voices downstairs while I give myself a quick pep talk. Taking long strides to reach the front door.

Melissa stands at the door awkwardly, nodding at something that my dad says. They know the entire story and were shocked that she could have done such a thing.

He steps around the corner towards his office. Leaving us alone, I step outside and shut the door behind me.

Her green eyes are glossed over, appearing darker. She seems almost guilty as if she actually realized what she did.

"How can I help you?" I fail at keeping my hostility at bay.

It feels strange, talking to someone that I once confided in. This is the same girl that comforted me and listened to me whenever I needed someone.

"I came to apologize." She finally says, her voice isn't laced with confidence like I'm used to.

I cross my arms over my chest and bite back what I have to say. At the Halloween party, I was more shocked than anything. Now it has worn off and curiosity about what she has to say has taken over.

"I messed up, I see that now." She sighs in frustration. "The moment I met Asher I- I wanted him to give me as much attention as he did you. He was always bringing you up and it annoyed me." I frown, but let her continue.

"I knew you only saw him as a friend but did he? And I knew that soon enough it would have happened if I didn't do something about it."

It takes a moment for me to process her words fully. "Okay."

She smiles sadly, "I'm finishing the rest of the school year in New York, I just wanted to make sure I apologized to you individually."

My eyebrows lift in surprise. "I'm sorry.." I mutter.

She laughs, wiping her eyes."You were a great friend, I'm really sorry for causing you both so much pain."

"I'm happy that you're aware."

Melissa sheepishly stares at the ground. "I was blinded and I take full responsibility which is why I'm okay with moving away to deal with what I did." She explains, the rawness in her voice making it clear that she regrets it.

It's unfortunate that it took her so long to realize. She could have done things so differently, but she has always been one to want revenge. And it hits her after she is backlashed for it.