Chapter 17 Part 2

She turned to look at the building they were in. Her first look was for security, to make sure they were safe. This look was to find a way through and out the other side. She could see a window on the other side, but getting there would be treacherous. She couldn't see any direct routes, the various holes in the floor and ceilings could provide a path, but it was going to be difficult.

Heading to the first obstacle, she aimed her rifle down into the darkness of the basement. She couldn't see anything, but, after the Metro tunnels, she knew ghouls liked the dark places. The last thing she needed was to fend off another ghoul attack, especially without Vincent to help. Satisfied, she continued to a section of the ceiling that would lead up to the next part of their journey through the wrecked building.

Finding an upturned desk, she pulled it across, underneath the hole. With a little effort, she set it back on four legs, pushing her weight against the top to test it could hold them both. Helping Gia up onto the desktop, she swung her rifle behind her back, climbing up beside her. Even with the desk, Gia wouldn't reach the edge of the gap. She knelt on one knee.

"Climb up. You should reach from my shoulder." Gia did as Patience told her. That was good. The girl was starting to learn.

Holding on to the edge, Gia pulled herself upwards, lifting a leg and swinging it up and onto the side, dragging herself up and to safety. She spun around on her belly, holding both her hands down into the gap for Patience.

"Grab my hands." Gia chanced a glance at her surroundings.

"No, it's okay. Move back." Gia furrowed her brow, but shuffled back, away from the edge of the gap.

Patience didn't know how she knew, but she felt certain she could jump up to the ceiling gap. Bracing herself, she launched upwards, catching the edge of the gap with ease and pulling herself up with little effort. As soon as she made it over the edge, her rifle found its way into her hands once again. She felt like a machine. As if everything she did, everything she could do, was hardwired into her mind.

The next section looked like it would be easier. All they had to do was navigate across the building, passing over small gaps to little island-like sections of the floor congregating around the foundational pillars of the building.

Patience led the way, crouch walking, setting her boots on each spot with care, placing only a small amount of weight there until she felt sure it could hold them. Every time she reached a new, stable spot, she would turn and urge Gia to follow, watching the girl close, ensuring she copied her movements exactly.

Gia did well. Not moving too fast, not moving too slow. Taking time to move across the sections of uncollapsed floor. They didn't have too far to go, now. Only two more 'islands' and then a small drop to the floor below to reach the window and they could leave and make it to solid ground. Gia, growing in confidence, smiled as she crossed another gap.

The cracking sound reverberated through the building setting Patience on higher alert. Gia's smile dropped as she looked down at her feet. Her eyes raised towards Patience. A hand reached.

And then floor collapsed, sending Gia falling.

-+-

Her reaction came without any hesitation. Diving forward, sliding on the rubble strewn floor, hand outstretched. She missed.

The slide arrested too early. Gia had already disappeared beyond the line of the remaining floor and Patience's clutching, stretching hand would never have caught the girl anyway. She slapped the floor and howled a noise almost inhuman. Still laid on her stomach, she edged forward, creeping towards the ragged edge of the hole, hoping, praying, that Gia hadn't fallen too far.