Chapter 3 - a place to stay

"You okay?" Javier asked you with a concerned look on his face. You must have looked more desperate than you had thought.

"Oh yeah, it's fine. Don't worry about it. It's not your problem anyway," you told him kindly trying not to seem too nervous that you were alone with him. You had to admit that he was pretty good looking and that he seemed to be very nice, and for some reason, that kind of threw you off a bit.

"Maybe I can help?" he offered kindly.

"Oh, I don't think you can. It's just that I pretty much don't have a place to stay tonight, or well, any night really." you paused slightly embarrassed. "My transfer was so sudden that I didn't have time to look for an apartment in advance and I just figured that I'd stay with Steve, but I think that's not going to happen."

"Oh-, If you want you could sleep over at my place for the night. I have a guest bedroom that you can sleep in" he suggested but saw that you hesitated.

"That's very kind of you agent-" "Don't worry, you can call me Javier." "Well that's very kind of you Javier, but I don't want to intrude, and I've just met you. Wouldn't that be weird?" you told him.

Javier shrugged. "I don't mind. And neither should you if it means that you don't have to sleep on the streets. So, let's go."

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks.", you went to take your luggage, but Javier beat you to it telling you that he'll carry it for you. You thanked him. You started walking to his car and you took a seat in his car while he was putting your luggage in his trunk. Was it going to be weird to stay with him? You told yourself that it wasn't since you were only going to stay for the night.

The drive wasn't too long when you arrived at his apartment. He let you in and showed you where you were going to be sleeping. It wasn't anything too fancy and too big, but it was way better than the motel that you had been staying at. You put your luggage on the bed and grabbed some clothes out of it.

"You want a drink?", Javier asked you peeking into your room. "Sure" you accepted and followed him into his living room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve was lying in bed, while Connie was still removing her makeup and then brushing her teeth. 

"I can't believe you didn't tell me that you have a sister," Connie told him and sighed. "I told you that I don't like to talk about her," Steve told her and ran a hand through his hair.

"But still, you usually don't really hide any relatives or siblings from your wife," she said while stressing the word wife. Connie wasn't mad. But she was disappointed. How could he not tell something as important as this?

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." He took her hand in his and placed a kiss on top of it. "It's fine," she said while offering him a slight smile.

"It's just, I can't believe that she'd just show up here, you know? But now I'm thinking that I may have been a little harsh with her." "Why? What did you do, Steve?" Connie asked him with a concerned look on her face.

"I yelled at her. I was mad, and she has no right to just show up here like this and to act like she is my sister", he told Connie trying to justify his harsh actions against you.

"But she is your sister. And she probably didn't choose to come here willingly. You said that it's because she's been transferred, right?" Steve nodded. "She probably isn't feeling any better than you are." Now it was time for Connie to take Steve's hand in hers. "Tell me, Steve. Is it really that bad that she's here now? She is your family after all. And I really don't think that she can be that bad." Conne told him.

"I don't know. I haven't really had time to think of any positive aspects yet." he shrugged. "The way I see it, you two can finally work on your relationship together, all while catching the bad guys. You've been given an opportunity here, Steve. You should take it."

Maybe Connie was right. Maybe it was time for Steve to finally let you into his life and to let go of the grudge that he held against you since you were children. After all, he didn't hate you. He tried to, but even if he tried to deny it, you were his sister.

"Yeah", he said and hugged her. All of this was overwhelming him.

"You know what we should do? We should invite her for dinner on Friday night. I can get to meet her and to get to know her and the two of you can catch up and bond a bit," she told him. 

Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea. It would take a lot of courage for Steve to ask you, but he knew that it would be the right thing to do. He decided that he was going to try and ask you the following day at work. He could do it, right?

"Thanks. And now get some sleep." he said and went to turn off the light. He went back to bed and gave Connie a kiss. "I love you." "I love you too." And with that, the two of them went to sleep.

When Steve was trying to fall asleep, he couldn't stop thinking about you. What if you'd say no to him? What if you decided that you didn't want to talk to him anymore? What if you were too pissed at him to accept the offer?

It was finally time to patch things up with you and to start being a brother to you. And Steve knew it.