t h i r t y o n e

Anthony Lawrence

"Are you feeling better?" Elias asked me while we ate breakfast together for the first time since... I couldn't even remember when was the last time.

We still didn't talk about yesterday's incident. Mainly because I didn't feel comfortable to talk about it.

After having accepted the fact that I would get raped and that nobody would come to rescue me, the girl I wanted to save and that got me in this situation in the first place suddenly stood up to grab the gun this man layed next to him on the floor.

However, he apparently only waited for her to grab it, because he immediately pulled his gun out of her hands and before she could even react she layed dead on the floor with blood pouring out of her chest and her head.

I had to keep myself from fainting and used those few seconds where he was distracted to kick my leg up in his balls, which made him fall onto the floor in pain. He tried to shoot me down but luckily missed me.

I didn't know how I managed to snatch his gun out of his hand, but the moment I got it and pointed it at the man who just killed an innocent girl without any sense of mercy I just shot at him.

In my head I still didn't realize that I killed someone and I knew that I would have a hard time accepting the fact that I was a murderer. Just like Elias, his family and all the other people I loathed.

My dream had always been to save people and now that I was with Elias I've started to insult, to hurt and since yesterday even to kill people. It was shocking how a few months made me a completely new person. A person I definitely didn't want to be.

However, I wanted to keep the fact that I killed someone to myself for now and hopefully forget about it as fast as possible. It was destroying me, but it was unfortunately the only thing I could think about at the moment.

Elias and I didn't eat breakfast in bed as we did sometimes, but sat in a little, cozy dining room with the table groaning under the weight of the food prepared, so that there wasn't any free space left.

I always wondered why they had to waste so much food, when it was obvious that we wouldn't get to eat all of it.

"Two people died in front of my eyes. One of them being completely innocent and a psycho tried to rape me, because he hates your family. How do you want me to feel?" I responded sarcastically.

I felt my skin crawling at the thought of that man roughly touching me everywhere. The girl didn't do anything and although I tried to save her, she died in the end. It made my heart ache.

"He didn't manage to rape you and people die every day especially in the mafia," Elias said silently. "You as a doctor probably saw a lot of people dying in your life. You can't control it."

"They die because of diseases and not because someone shot them down. Those are two completely different things. The girl yesterday didn't deserve to die. She was completely innocent!"

"You have to accept that in the mafia most of the people are dying at a young age, no matter if you are innocent or actually did something," he said, while putting some caramel syrup in his coffee.

"I don't want to accept that."

"Well, me neither. But I have no other choice," he shrugged with his shoulders.

"And if Sam would have died because of his injuries or even during the attack?" I asked skeptically.

He pressed his lips together and stared at me with a hard and emotionless expression.

"That's something different," he retorted quickly and looked away from me to make himself a sandwich.

"It's not," I said and stopped eating my yogurt with strawberry flavor.