three.

After changing the clothes, I grabbed my bag and ran outside to get the regular dose of subah ki chai and listen to what Ammi had to say about the guests.

Sitting on the sofa, I took a sip of the chai and looked at her. She was quiet, with a cup of chai in her hand.

"So? Give me the details."

"Well, you might have seen him before. At Umair's wedding?"

The hand I was drinking the chai with stopped mid-air. I gulped. It couldn't be. Right? My breathing got heavy as a tonne of flashbacks hit me. I placed the cup on the table and leaned back on the sofa. He wouldn't send a rishta my way. Never in a million years. It's not like we shared a bond.

"--he saw you then and liked you. So, he told Rubina then and there that he liked you. She's been asking me for your hand in marriage, ever since."

"Haalay?"

I shook my thoughts away and tried to focus on what Ammi was saying.

"Sorry, I zoned out. What did you say after the wedding part?"

She looked at me weirdly, as if she was x-raying me. I felt conscious of myself and tried to bury the thoughts of him deep inside my brain. Smiling at her, I arched my brow.

"I said that he attended Umair's wedding because he's Rubina's son. He saw you in the Walima. So, he got his mother to call me. But both of you were too young back then so I laughed it off hoping he'd forget. But he still likes you so Rubina has been calling me ever since he graduated 2 years ago.", she repeated.

"Ah. Rubina aunty's son", I finally let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding in. "He's been talking about this ever since I was 17 and he was 19? Isn't that super weird, though? Are you sure about this?" I asked nervously. But deep down, I was relieved that it wasn't him.

Of course, it wasn't. He probably doesn't even remember me. It's only me who still holds on to his memory even after all these years. I smiled, doing my best to calm myself.

"Yes, I'd trust Rubina with my life and you're more valuable than that. Plus, I've seen Umair grow in front of my eyes. I'm sure about this."

So, I just smiled and nodded. As long as she was satisfied, I was satisfied.

---- back to the evening ---

The bell rang and Ammi called for Umair.

"Umair, go open the door. He must be here already."

My forehead creased. He? What?

"You mean Rubina aunty, right?"

"Oh, no. I mean Haider."

I was standing up from the ground and I froze. I didn't hear that right. Right? Why would he come to our place? He would never. Right? Wrong.

"Who?" I asked, confused.

"Oh, your memory totally sucks. Remember that student of mine who attended Umair's wedding even though he had to leave for ISSB the very next day?"

"Oh."

I sat down on the sofa, trying to comprehend her words.

It was him.

Why did he come back into my life all of a sudden? What is this? Was my dream some kind of premonition? Why was he back in my life after 4 years?

"Why? Why is he here? Wasn't Rubina aunty the guest who was coming today?"

"Oh, no. She couldn't make it. They had to leave for Lahore, it was an emergency", Ammi explained.