Part 10: The Golden Mask

My mind started to go crazy. I need to fight the captain. I need a disguise, but what? Something that says I'm not to be messed with but also something that says I'm on your team humans. Since I was in the city I figured I could get an idea out of something. I started to walk down the street. I was a couple blocks from the hospital. I saw a masquerade store across the street. There were a bunch of masks displayed in the front. I crossed the street and walked into the shop.

"Hi! Welcome to Majestic Masks" the guy at the counter said with a wisp.

"Thank you!" I said as I started to walk to a corner to look at the masks.

"So what kind of mask are ya looking for?" the guy asked.

His question puzzled me. I had no idea what kind of mask I was looking for. I thought for a minute then responded.

"Something that is intimidating but not."

He looked puzzled. What I had said made no sense at all. Then it clicked in his head and started to walk away. I started to follow him. He went over to a shelf and grabbed an old brown box.

"I've been saving this for years! I created it myself. It's one of a kind!" he said as he pulled the mask out of the box.

There is was. The one thing that would hide my identity from the world. It was a pure gold mask with navy blue emeralds surrounding the eyes.

"I always thought maybe a super hero would wear it one day, but who am I kiddin." He said.

I smiled at him. He was a cute kid.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Max Stanley the third" he replied.

"Well, Max. I'm Astra and I would love to buy your mask." I told him.

I went over to the mirror and put it on. I covered my eyes and nose. My eyes were a deep blue color. I turned to Max.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Wow, your eyes look awesome!" he responded.

I walked over to the cashier desk to pay Max.

"How much do I owe you?" I asked as I started to pull out my wallet.

"Nothing!" Max said. "It's perfect for you. I designed it just for you."

I smiled at him and started to walk towards the door. I turned around and looked at Max.

"Before I leave Max, I need you to swear to keep a secret"

"Anything Astra" Max replied.

I put the mask to my face which made my entire body glow.

"Never tell anyone who's behind the mask"

Max shook his head with his jaw opened.

"I will see you around Max." I said as I walked out.

I looked up and saw a clock. It was eleven thirty. Mom was going to freak out if I wasn't home soon. I saw a bus stop down the street and started walking to towards it. I looked at the times and the next bus wouldn't be there until eleven fourty-five. That was fifteen minutes. I sat down on the bench staring at my mask. I heard a squeaky noise a little ways away and turned to see what it was. It was an old lady pushing a cart. She was wearing rugged clothes and had a bunch of junk in her cart. I hid my mask and watched her as she sat down next to me. I started to look at the items she had in her cart. There was one thing that stuck out specifically to me. A pair of gold spandex pants, I wanted them. How am I supposed to get them, I couldn't just steel them from a poor lady.

I looked in my wallet to see how much money I had. I had a twenty dollar bill. I turned to her and forced a smile.

"Excuse me miss, but I noticed those gold spandex pants and was wondering if I could buy them from you." I said.

"How much do you have?" the old lady asked.

"A twenty dollar bill." I told her.

"Get lost lady!" She told me.

I couldn't believe it! She wasn't going to give them to me. Now I had to steel them! She pulled out a bag of seeds from her pocket and started to eat them. I started looking around to think about how I was going to take the pants from her. I saw a little white poodle by the lamp post by us. I walked over and picked up the dog and carried it back over to where I was sitting. I started to pet the dog but I could see it staring at the old ladies seeds. I slowly started to let go of the dog so it could escape. The poodle walked up to the lady, grabbed the bag and started to run away.

"Those are my seeds you stupid dog!" The old lady said as she got up to chase the dog.

I quickly reached into her cart and grabbed the gold spandex out and took off. I started to feel guilty that I took the pants, but I needed them. I took the twenty dollar bill out of my wallet, ran back to her cart and placed it on top. Then I started to run towards the hospital to look for another bus stop. I saw a bus stopping, I ran as fast as I could to get on it.

"Whoo! I didn't see you coming." The bus driver said laughing.

"Thanks for waiting." I told him as I walked up into the bus.

The bus dropped me off back in town. The streets were empty and everyone was asleep. I started to walk home, I missed Dillan. I wasn't sure how long they would keep him in the hospital. Hopefully it wouldn't be too long. I opened the door to the house slowly so mother couldn't hear me coming in. The light clicked on in the living room.

"You don't think I can hear you a mile away?" She asked me.

I forgot she could hear things far away too. I closed the door behind me and walked towards her.

"You know it's one in the morning." She told me.

"I know. I'm sorry." I responded.

"I saw the news. Is Dillan okay? Are you okay?" She asked.

I went over and hugged her. It had been an eventful day and I was tired from it all.

"He tried to protect me mom." I said as a tear streamed down my cheek.

Mom held me really tight.

"He must really care about you sweetie." She said.

"I felt so useless. I couldn't save him or else people would know that I wasn't normal like them." I said while crying.

Mom kissed my forehead and helped me get ready for bed. She walked me into my bedroom and tucked me into bed.

"Get a good night sleep honey. Things will be okay, I promise." She said as she closed my bedroom door.

It was hard for me to fall asleep. I stared at my ceiling for what felt like hours. I wonder how Dillan was doing in the hospital. Maybe they would let him go tomorrow and he can come back home.

As I thought more about what happened I got more and more angry. I needed to do something. My eyes started to get heavy and I fell asleep.

'Beep Beep'

I turned on my side and hit my alarm clock. I felt like I had slept for ten minutes. I got up and started to put on my clothes. I grabbed a bag and put my gold spandex and mask in it and started to walk out of the house. It felt good to just be out by the ocean and see the sun rise. I started to head to towards the island.