The Child

Word count: 301

Once there was a child in a village. They always felt out of place but never knew why. The girls left them out while they played with dolls. The boys left them behind when they went to fight. The child got lonely and started to make themselves get forgotten. The others in the village had slowly forgotten about the child until it was like they had never existed. The child snuck out of the village and ran away, never to be seen in there again. They ran and ran and ran until they couldn't run anymore. They looked around and couldn't recognize anything around them. The child started to panic and curled up in a ball. The child stayed like that until they left a hand on their shoulder. The child looked up in fright and saw a lovely looking woman staring back at them. The woman put out her hand and the child took it. The woman led them to another village where they suddenly saw so many bright colors. There were so many colors and the child saw many other people. They held tightly to the woman's hand and she smiled down at them. She led them to another area where they saw other kids, big and small, boy or girl, playing with each other. The other kids noticed the child and waved at them. The child looked up to the woman and she beaconed for the child to go to them. The child carefully stepped towards them and they accepted the child to play with them. The child finally felt at home with them, like they could be themselves finally, and they smiled genuinely, the first time in a while. The child laughed and played with the others and they lived happily for the rest of their life.