Red Right Hand

“Why is drawing so hard?” I groaned into my hands, puffing air out of my mouth. I'd been trying to sketch the dragons I'd seen around the island from memory, but wasn't doing so well. I must have been losing the small amount of talent I had, which did not excite me.

“Flower, can you take this to Helga for me?” my mom called from downstairs. I sighed, shutting my journal and setting my pencil atop it.

“Sure, what is it?” I called back, beginning to stand up. She didn't reply, so I headed downstairs.

“Mom,” I said with a tinge of annoyance. She looked up from the table.

“Hm?” she hummed, looking innocent. I clasped my hands together, taking a breath.

“What is the thing you want me to take?” I repeated slowly.

“Oh, here. It's just thank-you soup,” she said quickly, handing me a covered bowl. I stared at it before nodding once.

“By the way, where's my 'sickly aunt'?” I asked, stopping by the front door. I had suddenly remembered the lack of aunt Erica upstairs.

“She was feeling a bit better today and wanted to take a little walk,” my mom said, giving me a smile. I nodded again, smiling as well. I was glad to hear she was feeling alright for once.

I headed outside, letting the door close shut before starting down the path. I squinted my eyes under the sun, trying to remember which house it was when I heard footsteps behind me. I started to move aside to let them through, but stumbled and lost my grip on the bowl. I gasped, trying to hold it but I felt another pair of hands catch it just as I heard a familiar voice.

“Gods, (Y/N), you're just terrible at holding food, aren't you?” Hiccup teased. I mumbled a swear under my breath as I steadied the bowl, shooting him a look. He held his hands up in defense, biting back a smile.

“You're no better,” I pointed out. He tilted his head, raising an eyebrow.

“Dropping plates at dinner like you've never held them before,” I added. He rolled his eyes, chewing on the inside of his lip.

“It was one time, and I didn't actually drop them, might I remind you,” he countered, crossing his arms.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” I finally grinned, shaking my head.

“So where are you off to?” he asked, gesturing to the bowl.

“Running an errand for my mom,” I sighed. He nodded, glancing at me.

“And what about you?” I added, raising an eyebrow.

“Ah, probably gonna go flying with Toothless,” he said before eying me intently.

“What?” I said quietly, feeling self-conscious. He shook his head, but didn't break his gaze.