Arctic Fox

I met the penguins after a while of solitude. Simply put I was pretty lonely before I bumped into their herd. At first I kept my distance, not wanting to associate with another species other than my own. Eventually I warmed up to the group but mostly in the sense where I travel within the group rather than off to the side, cautiously tailing them. None of them actually liked me. Or so I thought.

Enter this young male who I often refer to as "Tux". He still had some fluff on his head making him look quite goofy in my opinion. But he insisted that he wanted to be my friend so I let him walk with me when we travelled. Occasionally he'd give me fish from his hunting runs which made me feel guilty I had nothing to give in return. He says my time and friendship is enough.

He also insisted we sleep together to keep warm even though the leader of the group only allowed me to sleep just outside the herd. Many nights were spent next to the male although he did try to sit on me a few times. Morning would come and getting up was a problem when I woke up under him and attempted to escape. Of course getting out to the cold arctic wind was just awful even with a fluffy winter coat so often I found myself shivering. Those days he stayed close.

***

A few months have passed. We'd already begun our trek across thin ice to a new hunting spot. I worried that the combined weight of the penguins would break the ice but their leader claimed they'd done it hundreds of times before. I felt terrified as the herd casually walked across the ice like it couldn't possibly break.

I heard a soft chuckle from behind. Snapping my head backwards I saw Tux snickering at me.
"What's so funny?"
"Your tail is puffed." He said, lightly pulling on my tail. "Scared?"
I flattened my ears in shame. I'd never admit that to him.
I opened my mouth to retaliate but was interrupted by screaming from up ahead.

Penguins rushed back and I was pushed back along with the crowd. I felt pain shoot throughout my body as it was stepped on by panicked penguins. It wasn't long before I felt snow and everything began to slow down. I felt my heartbeat quicken as I heard the leader shout it's name.
"LEOPARD SEAL!"
I looked around for Tux worriedly only to find him a few seconds later, standing frozen in the middle of the ice.
"TUX!" I scream, stepping forward and slipping on the ice without Tux's support.

He didn't move.

I ran back out onto the ice, screaming at Tux, pleading for him to move. I felt my legs begin to burn and feet numb against the ice as I pushed my body to move faster.
I felt my world crumble as Tux was pulled under the ice. Reaching the hole where Tux fell in a thick smell of blood came from the water. Tears pricked my eyes as my feet gave out under my body, falling onto the cold ice with a soft whimper. Looking back, the herd had already left.

I was alone again.