chapter 4; murphy's law

victoria's pov

i woke up the next morning beside jasper. his chest softly rising up and down. i carefully pry myself from his arms careful not to wake him. he's still injured so he needs more rest than i do. i escape down the ladder to get a cup of water for him once he wakes up, he would appreciate that.

"hey victoria!" sterling says as he runs over to me. "i heard that jasper's awake, i told you everything would be fine." he assured me with a smile.

i smiled back at the ground and looked up, soon after my smile dropped. "what the hell happened to you?" i questioned, taking his chin in my hand and turning it so i can get a better look at the wounds on his face.

"murphy." he said calmly. that's right, they had an argument yesterday downstairs when murphy threatened to kill jasper. "you should thank june though, they were the one that pulled me away to stop it from escalating"

yes i haven't seen them in forever. maybe i'll sneak away and we can go on a little adventure like we did when we were kids. we used to explore the ark together once in a while late at night. we were so young so whenever we got caught we were off the hook. but that stopped once i got arrested.

"come to the drop ship, monty has some bandages around probably and i can clean your wounds so they won't get infected" i said, taking his hand and leading him to the ship. along the way i quickly get jasper a cup of water. we go up the ladder together and i led him to the corner where i could work on him when i heard a voice

"good morning." a groggy voice said, jasper.

"hey!" i looked up and gave him a small smile and wave. he looked down at sterling and i's intertwined hands, i didn't notice. "i got you some water, i thought that you might be a little parched." i announced, letting go of sterling's hand and coming closer to him to hand him the water.

"thanks." he said quickly, now eyeing an awkward sterling standing in the corner. i didn't realize the tension in the room. but sterling did.

i hurriedly grabbed monty's moonshine to disinfect the area and his bandages to wrap his head, hands, and cheeks. "so, sterling simple instructions. don't do any hard labor you can't handle for the sake of your hands and for your head.. just don't go head butting walls. okay?" i ordered. he nodded and quickly left after that

"so what's up betweeen you two?" jasper said immediately after sterling left. i quickly looked up at him, what is he implying?

"we're friends jasper, what do you mean?" i question, looking back down and packing up the supplies i took out. "why?"

"y'know he's in for murder, right?" he states casually. getting up and going to walk around. i pause and look at him with a questioning glare. what is this kid getting at?

"and?" i huff out, annoyed.

"nothing, i'm just letting you know." he mumbles, looking at me. i roll my eyes and decide to let it go. maybe the grounders hit him on the head by accident when they stabbed him.

"okay, anyway. let's go outside. you haven't been there in forever. i'm sure you're dying for some fresh air." i say with a giggle standing up and running down the ladder. we enter the main area and see murphy pissing on some dude. that isn't going to end well. we steer clear of that and go to the wall, escaping through a hole. jasper pauses.