CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Midnight Wizz

"You better not snore, demon..."

I just sat back and watched the two blonds give each other the stink eye, casually chomping on a packet of Devilcorn I had brought along for the trip. It was just regular popcorn, but I supposed they didn't want to copy our human snack name.

"I assure you, I do not snore. Count your blessings you aren't stuck with Beel, or Mammon, for that matter." Satan rolled his eyes as he dug through his bag, pulling out what looked to be a small, battery powered book light.
"I would prefer to not be stuck with any demon..." Luke grumbled, giving his pillow an aggressive fluffing. "(Y/N) needs protection, though...so I suppose I shall endure..."

Aw, he's a sweet little baby boy. Maybe I'll buy him a milk bone when we get back?

My sleeping bag was between the two of them, and I crawled over to make myself comfortable, stretching my legs out until I heard a satisfactory crack.
"You'll warm up eventually, Lukey. I think I like demons. At least the ones who don't wanna chew on me." When I gave Satan a smile, he averted his eyes, but I didn't take it to heart.

"Yeah, well, you'll find out they aren't good soon enough, I'm sure..." The smallest angel yawned, snuggling down in his sleeping bag and rolling over to face the tent wall. "Wake me up when it's breakfast, please. Sleep well, (Y/N)."

Everyone had been rather exhausted from the trek and had gone to bed early, but I was still wide awake. Late to bed, late to rise had always been my motto, and it hadn't changed down there.

"So, Satan, my dear...whatcha reading..?" I shifted over towards the blond, and in turn, he scooted closer to his wall.
"A German novel from the human world. One you certainly would not have read." He was back to acting rather pompous, but I tried not to let it bother me.

Taking a quick glance at the cover in the dim light, I moved closer, obviously frustrating the demon.
"Felidae, a tale of cats and murder, huh? I read that when I was like twelve." I pointed to the bust of a ginger cat on the cover, digging through my exceptionally empty head to try and recall the plot. "Isn't there like, furry porn in there at some point? I mean, the story is deep, and reminiscent of the old Sherlock stories, but are you a furry, Satan?"

It took a few long moments for him to register what I had said before he scrunched up his nose, closing the book gently overhis index finger, which he used as a marker.
"I certainly am not. I just appreciate literature that involves cats, is all...Especially crime novels..."

Humming, I dared to scooch just a little closer, nearly shoulder to shoulder with him as I reached out to open the book back up to take a gander.
"Yeah, not much out there that isn't shit in the sexy cat detective genre...Yikes, you can read German? Just how big is that brain of yours, Satan? Spare some cells for the rest of us."

It was obvious he wasn't even slightly amused, but this time I didn't try to scoot away or push me back. In my books, that was progress.
"I'm fluent in many languages. You could be too if you actually gave a damn about your studies..." He grumbled, shifting to give me a glare that really didn't come off as sharp as he likely intended.

"Well, I might be willing to put a little more effort in if you actually tutored me. Maybe like, an extra seven percent? Eight if you wear a bikini." With my arm still over him to keep the book open I swore I felt his will to live slowly seeping from his body.

He's warm, though...

"If you're done, roll over and go to sleep. I read to relax, and if you keep speaking I'll end up staying awake all night." As usual, he was stern, but it was as though he knew I wasn't going to listen.
"But I need to chuck a piss and if I go out there alone I'm gonna get eaten by, I dunno what kinda animals you have here. A chewbacca? A platypus? Nicholas Cage but specifically from the movie Matchstick Men?"