Waiting

The wind blew through my hair, effectively drying the sweat on my scalp and messing up my modest hairdo. It was sunny, possibly eighty degrees. The breeze kept it comfortable outside. Trees stood tall in the large, grassy field. A gazebo was placed perfectly at the hilltop, with a small playground close-by. Leaves rustled and grass swayed as that August day carried on.

How long I would be out there was a mystery to me. All I knew was that I enjoyed the feel of the summer air in my lungs, and the acoustic music that flowed through my cheap ear buds. The combination created an ambience that almost made this place a desirable vacationing area. However, vacationers would want to move around, and if they did, they see how little of this beauty the rest of the city had to offer.

It was a tiny piece of heaven surrounded by developing metropolis. Next to the small playground was a baseball field, which was to the left from my view. To the right of the big grassy field was a house. In front of it was a road, leading to the many schools placed in that area. Behind the field was where I sat, on a bench. Two hours had already passed, and finally the door to the school I sat by flung open, and my sister walked out.

If only I could know what life was like without stress and responsibility. I wanted I piece of the simplicity that I had observed. If only I could live in this tiny haven forever. If only the school, roads, house, and baseball field could all separate from one of the city's few beauties.

As my sister walked by me, I stood to follow her. I walked slowly; hesitantly. I looked back on the beauty of the field and hilltop. I took in the scene one last time, before accepting that the coming cold season would take it away until the next summer. I smiled as a white butterfly flew past me, the wind choosing its course. I nodded at the field, as if we had an understanding, and I walked onto the nearby road.

As I sat in the car, I took comfort in knowing that in less than one year, I could return to experience it all over again. The trees quivered and the grass swayed, and in less than one minute, my haven was far from my view.