flowers

february 14th, 2012.

"akaashi!"

a boy, with spiky. black and white hair rounds the corner of the lookers in search of his best friend.

"keiji!"

the world rushes to a halt.

as he looks up, he sees his best friend, hand linked with another, dirty-blonde haired male. his best friend smiles at the blonde, taking the teddy bear and chocolates in his hand. 

the boy rounds back around, sliding down the lockers, abruptly dropping the chocolates in his hand. a silent, echoed thud can be heard.

his best friend turns, he sees the reflection on the railing in front of him.

"did you hear that, konoha?"

"yeah. someone probably fell."

"should we check on them?"

"no, i'm sure they're fine. come on, lets go, keiji."

footsteps are heard as both boys walk away from the hallway.

as the boy hears the last of the footsteps disappearing, he cries, standing and running into the restroom. he drops the chocolate into the trash before locking himself into a stall.

he coughs.

a yellow carnation petal falls out of his mouth.

rejection.

as he realizes his doom, he makes a promise.

"you'll never know i coughed flowers. ever."

------

december 5, 2012

"happy seventeenth, akaashi!"

the spiky-haired boy smiles at his best friend, the vice captain of the volleyball team.

"thank you, bokuto-san. but i thought i told you i didn't need anything?"

"you did, but i couldn't just show up empty handed! look over there, your boyfriend has something for you."

boyfriend. 

as akaashi spun around, bokuto turned and coughed into his elbow. 

he coughs up red carnations.

heartache.  

"konoha-san! i told you i didn't need this!"

"keiji, just enjoy it! this is all for you!"

akaashi ran to konoha, hugging him. 

bokuto coughs, again.

he coughs a single purple acacia petal.

unrequited love.