Ch2_Snowy

Finally, freedom. After all these years, monsters have finally been freed from their prison of the underground. Grillby wasn't really there for it, but he can still remember the day Sans had brought a human child to his bar.

It was a pretty calm day, of course the town was covered in snow as always. The holiday lights may have lit up the town fairly well, but nothing could compare to the warm glow of the popular establishment of Snowdin, that seemed to light up the supposed dark and cold snowy town. Inside, a fire elemental stood behind the bar, cleaning a glass for later use. The elemental himself was a warm orange and stood confident, yet quiet in his bartender uniform.

Customers came in and out, some new and others the usual. To his right, the elemental could see a pack of dogs, many different breed, but most with thick fur coats to compete with Snowdin's cold climate. To his left, a bird monster, completely wasted on whatever or how much she had drank that night... or was it day? To be honest, telling time in the underground wasn't that easy, seeing as the monsters could not see the sun or the sky. Their ceiling consisted of many shining crystals, which mocked the stars in the night sky. They may have not been real, but sometimes you just have to be happy with what you have.

The jingle of a bell alerted everyone in the restaurant that someone had entered. The door opened, allowing the cold wind and some snow to blow in;however, it was swiftly closed to invite the warm air the establishment offered.

A skeleton, around 5'4, wearing a blue jacket and, as always, the lazy smile he adored, entered and made his way to the bar stool that was practically reserved for him;seeing as no one else dare take it. Behind him, he noticed a smaller figure that he couldn't exactly make out. Once the figure sat on the stool next to the skeleton, he could see this new acquaintance was... a HUMAN!?

He could see they had short brown hair and squinted eyes, their expression near neutral. They wore a striped sweater, magenta on an indigo color. The human looked around the bar, taking in the scenery, before landing on Grillby, himself.

For the first time since entering the establishment, the human smiled. Smiled at him. It was small, but kind. This was accompanied by a small wave, which was quickly returned.

He glanced at the pair sitting before him before he began to speak.

"Hello there Sans, it is good to see you. Would you like the usual?"

The skeleton, Sans, looked away from the fire man and toward the human next to him.

"did you want anything, kiddo?"

Sans said, voice low and precise, as the kid put on a thinking face. It wasn't long before the fire elemental presented them with a plate of warm golden fries, and a usual bottle of classic ketchup.

g o l d and r e d

"heh, thanks grillbz", Sans said, glancing at me before taking the bottle of ketchup and drinking it as if a normal beverage;which to Sans, it is.

The human began to munch lowly on their fries with a happy expression. They actually finished rather quickly.

(Grillby's POV)

"So Sans," I began,"Who's your friend?"

He put the bottle of ketchup down and looked at me questioningly before he realizing what I meant. That was, weird, but I chose not to mention it.

"oh, this is frisk." Sans replied. In response to their name being said, Frisk turned my way while eating their last fry.

"Well hello there, Frisk. Are you enjoying yourself so far? I hope Sans hasn't been bombarding you with his puns."

This remark was responded by Frisk giggling to themselves while Sans was retaliating against what I said.

"hey, jokes and i are a match made in hell", he joked. Frisk and I looked at him with confusion until getting the joke, to which we both proceeded to laugh quietly.

I looked to him and noticed him looking back at me. His eye lights glowed in his eye sockets like not so different from the "stars" in Waterfall. They just seemed to bright up the darkness in a way that a fire couldn't. They seemed to literally and figuratively light the path;the aura of happiness rarely left them. , and it spread like a wildfire.
...
Stars, I think Sans's puns are beginning to take control of me.

It probably caught on that Sans and I were staring at each other for an amount of time that was far too long to be normal since when we finally stopped our eye contact, we could hear faint giggling. We both turned to see Frisk looking at us as if they knew a secret that neither of us knew.

"what's so funny, kid?", Frisk just giggled a little more before hopping off of the bar stool. They wobbled a bit since the seat was pretty high from their perspective, but they managed to recover and walk out of the restaurant, not without winking(?) at the two of us with finger guns though. I'm not even sure how they winked if their eyes never really opened, but that was besides the point.

Many of the customers had left by then, so now it was jist Sans and I. The room was silent except for the occasional crack and pop of my flames as they burned a soft orange.

The silence was akward as neither of us knew what to say or what to talk about. It was only interrupted however, by a phone ringing. The loud ringing startled us out of silence as Sans went to get his phone from his jacket pocket and clicked the answer button.

"uhmm, hey, what's 'sup?", the other end pf the call was surprisingly loud and clear, giving me an idea of who it was. Most of what I could hear was nonsensical yelling though, so I wasn't sure what the other was saying.

"okay, bro, i'll be there in a bit, see 'ya." he hung up the call, and as I suspected, it was Papyrus, or Sans's younger brother. "welp, this was fun, but i gotta get goin'." "O-oh, uhh, good bye then, Sans." "heh, bye grillbz." and with that, he stood up from his seat and opened the door, once again allowing some cold wind to blow in. He gave me one last soft glance and closed the door, disappearing instantly as the door shut.