Chapter 37: The Ouroboros

(Trigger Warning: Domestic Violence)

Raisa had only three bites of her dinner before she was running to the bathroom and emptying the contents of her stomach into the toilet. It was the stress that nauseated her. The stress that this wouldn't work out. That she would fail and let her country down. That she would never get to see her mate again.

These overwhelming thoughts had her hunched over the toilet, shaking, her breaths uneven, and a dark magic circling her.

"Everything will be okay," she whispered to herself. "It'll work out."

For some reason, her thoughts went to Azriel. She imagined the shadowsinger squatting beside her and rubbing her back. His wings would wrap around her, forming a safe cocoon and he would whisper that everything would be fine and if it wasn't, he'd kill Caius himself.

She gave a nervous laugh at the thought of that and sent a little tug down the faint bond. One that said she was thinking of him. When she finally found herself able to breathe evenly again, she stood up tall and looked into the mirror.

Her dark eyes were shadowed from restless nights. Her skin lacked any warmth. She looked like the female she had been before she learned of the mirror and was filled with hope of a better future. "You are Raisa, Queen of Vallahan," she reminded herself. "And it is your duty as Queen to restore justice and end Caius' rule."

She took a deep breath before leaving her room. She was ready for whatever was about to happen during dinner.

The guards outside the dining room didn't move to open the doors as she approached. Not that it mattered, she simply placed her ear to the door and listened closely. The sound of screaming barely passed through the door, but it was enough to know that something was wrong. There was glass shattering, grunts, cries, and the horrible sound of choking.

Raisa jumped as the door tried to push open, but she kept her body against it. That's when the guards finally moved.

"What is going on?" One of the guards pulled out his sword.

"Hold the other door," Raisa hissed through her teeth as she strained to hold the door closed. "Now!"

The guard hesitated to move. The one with his sword drawn looked at Raisa with fear and then down the empty hall. "Guards! We need back-" He couldn't finish his sentence as a dark whip shot out from Raisa's hand and slit his throat. He fell to his knees in a pool of blood.

"Help me now," she growled at the other guard.

The two of them held the doors shut as people on the other side shoved and cried out in pain. The sounds were so animalistic that Raisa's insides twisted with guilt, especially as the dead guard's blood began to soak at the hem of her dress.

"What is happening, my Queen?" The guard helping her asked. He was young, she could tell, and very frightened.

"The king is handling something."

The guard gave a panicked laugh, "I don't think it's being handled, my Queen."

There was one final thud against the door before silence consumed the room. Raisa was breathing heavy but she waited to see if the silence would pass. "Stay here," she whispered to the guard.

She slowly opened the door, feeling a weight against it. There was a Lord's body in front of it, his own knife was in his chest. She recognized the dead Lord of Coin and couldn't feel bad. Her eyes were cast down as she stepped over the body, she knew the mirror would be at the front of the room and she tried not to look in that direction.