Chapter 4: The Announcement

Shortly after Whiteout's conversation with Toothless, many of the Queen's planners began to rush around the cave. They were getting ready to confirm the new ruler of Furia.

What they didn't know, was that everything they knew was about to change.

Prince Shadow's decision was going to cause a literal uproar. She risked a glance in his direction. He was still sitting next to her as they watched the main cavern transform.

His mother's influence became apparent as the empty cave was decorated with vibrant hues and the faded wall paintings were rejuvenated.

Old family skills were being used again, and were being taught to the younger generations already. So much change in so little time.

There it was again, that pang of mixed emotions. Whiteout loved these new changes, but she knew she wouldn't get to enjoy them for long.

She had to head back home before the announcement is made, and she mustn't let herself become attached to the Prince. He had duties to fulfill and she would only be in the way.

"Prince Shadow..." she started. It pained her to leave like this. But she had no other choice.

"You don't have to use my title, Whiteout." He spoke softly to her. "I-"

She shook her head and held back the tears. She knew he was going to leave, and her family would never let her go with him.

"I have to go back to my den. My family will be expecting me." Whiteout spoke sternly. She was trying her hardest to distance herself from him. In any way that she could.

Without another word she stood and made her way briskly back home. She heard him call out to her as she sped up but she could not bear to look back at him right now. If his sadness matched her own it would just hurt them more.

Neither of them were ready for what was to come.

******

"Well, well, well, look who finally showed up. You're in so much trouble with father right now. He's furious!" Nightshade laughed.

Whiteout looked at her sister in dismay.

"Furious? I almost die and he's furious with me?"
Whiteout's question is left unanswered as her sister resumes admiring her scales in one of the the shallow pools of water their den contained.

"He was hoping King Slate would kill you, or better! He'd exile you." Nightshade grinned as she looked away from herself and examined her litter mate.

"Had you died, I would have rejoiced. But then again... if not you, who would I torture?" She pouted out. "So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm glad you didn't die. So I can still have someone to torment."

That was the nicest thing Whiteout had ever heard her say. To anyone. It didn't help though.

"Just where have you been?" She heard her father growl as she turned to look at him.

"The Queen wanted an audience with me..." Whiteout lied. "She was respecting King Slate's decision and was talking with me as the healers patched me up."

I don't know what he'd do if he knew the whole truth...

"Oh?" Her father began. "Good. At least someone still respects his word. The other Furies have made some ridiculous remarks about our King. That damned fool actually ran off. How embarrassing."

Whiteout's relief was immeasurable. Her father's rage was directed toward the tribe and the former King Slate. She was safe, for now.

"Go get yourself cleaned up. All of you!" He addressed his family. "The ceremony will begin soon, and I want my flock to be right and proper for it! They'll be choosing from the purest lines for Shadow's betrothal and one of you is a likely candidate."

He left the cave to attend to any left over business he may have had before the ceremony starts. After what she'd heard today, she would have to hide from him as soon as they get home.

"My future is looking brighter by the second." Nightshade cooed to herself before turning again to Whiteout. "I will likely become the next Queen of Furia."

A pang of Jealousy washed over Whiteout. Her sister was certainly the most beautiful dragon in the flock by far. For their age group at least. Her jet black scales and slim features made sure of that.

Whiteout was aware that, were she in possession of scales like her sister's, they would look nearly identical. But she wasn't, and now she felt very self conscious.

"You're the one who escorted him into the cavern, right?" Nightshade began curiously.

"Yes?" Whiteout was very suspicious about where this conversation was going.

"What's he like? Did he make any fun comments on your scales? I bet he's got some pretty clever ones." She laughed.

Of course. She always brings everything back around to the scale thing. Whiteout is painfully aware of how bright and unsightly her scales are. She just wished her father hadn't found it so incredibly appalling for her to cover them with paints. He said it disrespected the gods to do so, when they so clearly wanted her to appear this way.

"All furies! Gather here in the grand cavern for a very special ceremony!" The announcer called.

"It's time!" Nightshade spoke with a sickly sweet vibrato.

The family made their way to their assigned spot near the center of the circle. The center of the main, or rather, Grand Cavern was elevated in a smooth circle. Everything important was announced on this stage.

Today would be no different.

Whiteout made sure to be the furthest away from her father. Unfortunately that meant sitting only three dragonets away from her mother. She could feel that hateful glare from miles away.

If only she'd been born a different color. She wished so desperately to paint her scales so she could live a normal life. But even she knew that it would Only be a temporary solution. She just needed to finish teaching herself to hunt.

Then she'd make her escape attempt. Maybe? She sighed in defeat. Eyes were on her at all times. Even on the day watch. She would never be allowed to leave. She was a prisoner in her own home.

The cave roared to life as the Prince landed gracefully on the stage. His mother followed with the twins on her back and Ruby at her side.

Here we go...

Whiteout readied herself for what was to come. Anxiety swelled in her chest and she made quick glances across the room toward the most problematic members of the tribe. They would surely cause a scene.

"Dragons of Furia!" Prince Shadow started. "As you all may know, when my father ascended the throne he brought new rules, beliefs, and changes with him. I intend on doing the same." He stood tall, and very still as he stared into the distance. His voice echoed through the chamber as the silence grew louder.

"I will not be taking over as your king today."