Chapter 3

After hanging up with 12, I smiled and laughed out of pure happiness, I hadn't talked to her in years. To most, her voice had seemed to change over time, but I still hear my enthusiastic and adventurous, yet sweet and caring best friend. I could recognize her voice from anyones. It's one of a kind, just like her.

I texted 12 my coordinates and she responded with 'Oki, see you tomorrow at 8 am sharp'

'Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to see my future wife :)' I responded.

After texting that, reality had just bitch slapped me right in the face. I felt butterflies in my stomach like never before. The apocalypse is here and I'm getting married to my best friend, no questions asked. This happened all so sudden and soon. It wasn't supposed to happen until about 30 or 60 more years. I mean, I'm excited as all hell but goddamn, I'm getting married!! I'm glad I don't have a relationship, that'll be awkward to explain. But I wasn't really planning on dating anyway, not with the promise still being something to think about.

I began to cry, half from happiness, half from God knows what. Emotions I guess. I'm not usually the crying type, more of the non-stop laughter type.

I snap out of it when hearing windows crashing and screams. Chaos broke out in a matter of a few minutes of the news about the apocalypse. I knew this would happen, so I had my shop specially built, it's a one of a kind model with bullet-proof glass all around, even in my apartment. And just for extra precaution, I took the liberty of installing pure titanium folding gates for my windows and doors. It all cost a lot of money, but it was worth it. I pulled them down, feeling bad for all the people who haven't prepared for this, which would be, like, everyone ever.

I checked the money in my cash register, seeing how much I got today. It was a pretty good day today, I made about $550.65. I took it all out, leaving it on the counter for now. Usually, I get $400-$600. The most I've ever got in a day is $1,578.48, which was the first time I decided to have a rose special for Valentine's Day week. But since I've only had this shop for a year, I didn't get the opportunity to do it again. But it was an amazing idea either way.

I got up and went to all my plants, watering them and wishing them a good night (don't judge me..). When I was finished, I headed back to the counter, looking to see if I've done everything I needed for the night. I grabbed my phone along with the orange rose and cash, heading upstairs to my apartment after turning all the lights off.

I attempted to grab my keys from my back pocket, failing and dropping my phone. Miraculously, the cash didn't fall out of my hands. "Damnit, that's the 3rd time this week" I mutter to myself, picking up my phone and grabbing my keys. Luckily, it didn't crack. I sigh in relief and unlock my door, going inside and smiling. I lock the door back up and pull down the folding gate. As I said, I'm pretty prepared. And finally, home sweet home. Though my apartment is only just upstairs, I never go up there until my day is done.

My apartment isn't too big, it's a little bigger than my shop, actually. There are wooden floors and boring, basic wallpaper, that is until I go into my room. But before I do that, I go into the kitchen and hang up my keys. I put down my phone and the money, heading straight for the fridge, looking for a while then pulling out some yogurt. It's been a long day, I don't feel like cooking.

After grabbing a spoon, my phone, and my money with the yogurt still in hand, I head to my room and put everything down, turning on the light and closing the door.

I look around and see my guns and arsenal of combat weapons. Each wall is like a different room. One is painted with graphic images of zombies, which is where the side of my bed is. Behind my bed is a window. On the other side of my bed is my dresser with the wall painted with beautiful flowers, which are where my arson is. Vertical from my bed is my mini walk-in closet. Though, there's a hidden place on the floor where I hold all kinds of weapons. I may look sweet and innocent, but I come prepared and always carry a pocket knife just in case.

After putting my money away, eating, cleaning off my make-up, and getting into my PJs, which are just a long sleeve shirt and shorts, I turn off my lights and turn on my lamp, getting into bed. I turn on the T.V. for background, all that's on is the news talking about the apocalypse. I decide to take out a notepad from my bedside table. I got it in 2024 and kept it for when this happened.

I grabbed a pencil and began writing.

"April 1st, 2033

8:30 p.m.

Day one of the apocalypse, I didn't know it'd come so soon. Hell of a day for it to happen though. April fools. Hopefully, it's not a joke. It's all they're talking about on the news. But I'll be seeing 12 for the first time in a long time, I'm happy about that. We'll be getting married soon, so that's exciting, too. I'm prepared for this, I have expert gardening skills and an arson. No zombies in sight of Iowa, but they're close. Who knew I'd be excited about an apocalypse? Goodnight for now"

I thought I'd have more to say, but I guess not. I close the notepad and put it back with the pencil, setting my alarm for 6 a.m. and getting some rest. I can't wait until tomorrow.