Genesis [Chapter 5]

Chapter 5

It always sucks when you realize that the person you idolize isn’t immortal.

The Strigoi leader bellowed and Sigrun answered back with a scream – this time, one of pain. There was the sound of a heavy blow, and Sigrun flew across the room, skirting over my head and slamming into the wall hard enough to break off several chunks of concrete off of it.

“Sigrun!” Claude and I both shouted.

“The Chooser has fallen!” the Strigoi yelled in triumph as it picked something from the water and shoved it into its mouth. I recoiled in disgust as I realized it was one of its fallen comrades. Its crimson eyes seemed to grow brighter as it relished in the feral act.

“Chris!” Claude shouted. I whipped my head back to him and found him holding off just one more of the Strigoi. “Grab the bag and run. I’ll finish this!”

I gaped at him in disbelief. Was he really suggesting I abandon them? Sigrun stirred weakly at my feet, groaning. I couldn’t tell how badly she was hurt, or if she’d even be able to move again anytime soon. I gripped at my gun weakly and struggled to move my legs. They wouldn’t.

“Come on, Chris,” I growled. “Move!”

A deep, lazy laugh echoed through the tunnel, growing louder as the Strigoi leader crept closer. Its fangs were dripping with a dark liquid that definitely wasn’t Kool-Aid.  

“Chris,” Claude urged.

I’d never been good at split second decisions. I doubt anyone is. The fight or flight response is one of the most stupidly simplified things I know. In real life, in a real battle, you don’t just decide between running and fighting. Even if you force yourself to narrow down to the two choices, your mind resists and treats you to a list of other questions. If I fight, will I win? What would be the outcome if I ran? Who will I be leaving behind? Who will die in my place? Will I be able to live with my decision?

Most of the time, you end up making the wrong decision. And then people die.

But at that moment, I didn’t know what to do. I looked to Claude who was struggling to defeat one Strigoi on his end while another was slowly rising behind him, apparently having survived whatever attack had originally struck him down. Sigrun was still out of it, stirring but slightly. On my end, the Strigoi leader was edging closer, cackling in delight.

“Do not fret, young one,” it rasped. “I will make your death quick and painless. That’s what a coward deserves.”

My knees shook as his words rang in my head. If he attacked me, he could kill me.

No…when he attacked me, he will kill me.

I cast another glance at Sigrun, and then at Claude who was staring at me with pleading eyes. I gritted my teeth, grabbed the bag…

…and fled in Claude’s direction.

“Take care of her,” I choked as I ran past him, making a point to double-tapping the Strigoi who was getting up.

The leader howled as I ran, and I heard the ripple of the waters as it rushed for me, only to be countered by Claude’s defiant shout. Golden light flooded the tunnel and I wondered who it came from.

I didn’t turn back to see. I didn’t look back at all and it made my stomach churn.

What are you doing? Why are you here? What are you fighting for? Claude’s words played themselves again and again in my head. The answers came with them, pummeling me down.