Lost in Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time, in a far, far away land; there lived a beautiful Queen who was very, very obsessed with her beauty. She was always looking at her mirror and doing same routine every day.

She carefully combed her hair. And then she swept it off her neck, piercing the neat twist she created with long black coral pins. Satisfied with the effect she had created, she wiped the mascara from beneath each eye and redid her face, took one last look in the mirror, and fastened a large pear-shaped diamond to each ear.

With a last glance over her shoulder she knew that she looked as always, striking, lovely, tranquil. No one would have dreamed that underneath there was torment and evil.

Indeed she was beautiful, but her personality was her greatest downfall. She owned a mirror. Not just an ordinary mirror, but a magical one – it revealed everything when it was asked.

“Mirror, mirror, here I stand. Who is the fairest of the land?” on a low, airy voice, she asked.

“It is you, my Queen, the fairest of them all.” It was her favorite line. But this time, her mirror didn’t utter any word.

She raised an eyebrow out of confusion. “Is there any problem, Mirror?” she asked. 

“I am afraid there is, my Queen.”

She took a deep breath. “Then what is it? Spill it out, idiot!” she raged, obviously displeased and annoyed.

An image of a beautiful, young maiden patterned in front of her. “Her name is Snow White. She has skin as white as snow, and has a heart so innocent and pure,” her mirror said.

Her hands closed into fists. “Tell me where I can find her!” she said. It was not a question, it was a demand. Different emotions clouded her mind. Dark. She was surrounded with darkness.

“She lives in an isolated land in the kingdom with the dwarves.” Despite the mix feelings, she managed to smile. What she looked like and what she was capable of doing were two different things – she’s wickedly beautiful… and evil.

For every person who would block her way should be destroyed. It was very, very long time ago when she had last used her magic spell to someone who obstructed her way. And now, she would be using it.

With just a tick of the clock, she disappeared in front of her mirror. She found herself in her favorite laboratory, decorated with different colors of potion – where witchcraft existed. The place was dim, dejected, and messy. Voodoo dolls were even spotted.

Inside the room, it was every bit as gloomy as it may seem. Mounds of soot, layers of dust, and ropes of cobwebs cover every surface of their house in a sticky veil. Shriveled brown flowers drooped from dismal vases and all was dark and dank. Even the lamps and lanterns seemed to give out darkness instead of light. Smoke from the strangling fire puffed into the room and swirled about the ceiling.

And the once called Queen had turned into a witch.

After an hour or two of conjuring a spell to kill the maiden, she created an edible yet poisonous apple. And that was how apple came into its existence.

To start her plan, she tracked down Snow White and found her living in peace with the dwarves. Her mirror was right. Snow White was true.

She even felt the urge to accomplish her mission. As witch as she was, she had transformed into an old woman. She thought that it would lure Snow to her. And yes, she was right.

With her acting skill, she played the role of an old woman, seeking for assistance. Snow White was known as the beautiful and had a pure heart, and that was what put her in danger. She gave her help to the queen-turned-old-woman.