Stay Inside

Summary: Set in 1x3 when Axel had to go find the part for the generator, which happened to be in a sewer that was overflowing with water. What if that scene went differently?

It was daylight, as Vanessa stood by the overfilled sewer, Axel's M4 gun in hand, her other hand holding part of the rope he'd tied himself to. He'd told her that he'd be back in 90 seconds. About thirty seconds in though, a few ferals appeared. She was able to kill one in the distance, as she yanked on the rope, but the other two ran towards her. She killed the one closest to her, but the struggle with the last one made her lose the rope, making it disappear into the water.

"Axel. No," she stated, knowing he couldn't find his way back without it. Not in time, anyway.

She grabbed a dagger from the ground she saw, as she held it back from biting her. Then she used the dagger to sever its head, killing it.

After a moment of recovery from the struggle, she searched around for the rope, but she couldn't find it. That's when she knew she had to go in after him. She got to her feet, before diving into the water.

Axel had grabbed the part, but had lost his way. He knew something had to have happened for her to lose hold of the rope. And as he kept swimming to try and get to the surface, he could feel that he was losing air.

Once she finally found him, she swam behind him, putting an arm around his waist, and grabbed the part for the generator with her free hand, before it sunk down. She then swam towards where she'd come from.

As soon as she broke the surface, she pulled them both out and onto the ground, as she gasped from having to hold her breath so long. Then, once she recovered, she knew next to him, before starting heart compressions.

"Come on, Axel. Come on," she called to him. "Breathe. I need you to breathe." Then, as she continued, she pleaded, "Come back to me, Axel."

After a moment, he woke up, turning on his side and coughing up water.

As she watched him, it relieved her. She didn't know him well, but she was a good person. She couldn't just let someone die. Besides, there was something about him that made her want to stay with him.