Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

It was the 27th of August 1994. It was a mild day outside, but it was quite overcast with the clouds covering the sky shielding the sun from warming my skin. I was standing with my mother and father in the bustling street of Diagon Alley, it truly was everything I thought it would be and more. It was five days before the school year started for my fourth year of magical education, so it would explain why the street was so busy with many families and groups of people rushing to get their supplies before school started on Monday. My family and I had arrived from Australia a week ago, I was transferring from my school of magic Vincentia School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to Hogwarts as my father received an amazing job offer at the Ministry of Magic, working in the muggle defence area, whilst my mother had found a job working in the ministry in the Auror department. We were a pureblood family of the most distinguished line of wizards and witches in Australia and leaving my coastal home was hard, but the career opportunities for my family here in London were amazing for them and I didn't want to argue with them over something that would be so incredible for them. Leaving my friends was hard and the goodbyes would bring a sad smile to my face, thinking about the fact I may not go back to my hometown. As soon as my parents received and accepted their jobs here at the London Ministry of Magic, I received my invitation letter to attend Hogwarts.

The slight breeze in the street blew a long strand of my honey blonde coloured hair into my eyelashes, causing me to squint and shake me from my daze I was in as I stared at the magic that was genuinely bursting through the street. There were newspapers and articles lining the street reading the events of the catastrophe that had occurred at the Quidditch World Cup, I put the terrifying thought of what had occurred at the World Cup behind me, deciding that it had blown over by now. My father looked up from the piece of parchment that had my school list requirements on it, having been discussing it with my mother, they were clearly trying to decipher which shops would have the supplies I needed. I wandered through the street finding a shop that happened to have all the stationary I would need including parchment and quills. I already had my wand which I got when I was first accepted into my Australian school of magic, a simple hornbeam wood with a phoenix feather core, 13" with supple flexibility. Mother wanted to stop by the uniform shop to get me robes that would fit me for the coming year, as I had noticeably changed within the last year, developing somewhat of a chest and hips, my face losing its baby fat, my jawline becoming more refined and my collar bones becoming more prominent as I was still a slender build. I also noticed on the supply list that there was a need for dress robes, this must mean there will be a dance of sorts throughout the year or some kind of formal event. I decided I would wait until the event was closer and I was more settled in to get dress robes.

"Mum can we please go home now, we've been shopping all day" I sighed looking at my mum who was still looking around the uniform shop making sure I had everything for the school year. "I just want to make sure you have enough! It's a lot colder here then back in Australia, how about another big jacket?" she said excitedly. Mum was really excited for me to start at Hogwarts as she had always heard about it growing up and only got to see it once when training as an auror in her earlier years. Dad was also excited about me starting at Hogwarts, but I think he was more excited about his new job, which was completely understandable as it was a fantastic opportunity for him. I could tell dad was also exhausted from all the shopping as well, because when I sighed, he placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a warm smile and an understanding look. I gathered some of the bags we acquired as my dad grabbed the others, swiftly making an exit with my mother before she decided to add another scarf to the list of things I'll need.

We made our way over to the floo system as my mother got in the fireplace with me flooing us to our new residence that was starting to feel more and more like home as the days stretched on. Our house elf from Australia couldn't bare be without us and decided to come to London with us when we moved, she was more like family anyway.

"How was shopping Miss Wright?" Lila my house elf asked politely taking the bags from my mother and I using magic to disperse them in their appropriate places. "Lila you know I say this all the time, please just call me Alanna! Just once at least!" I giggled at her, to which she giggled lightly and apologised dismissing herself to put the rest of the shopping away that my dad arrived with. I walked up to my room looking out the big windows as I climbed the spacious stairs. Being a pureblood family had its perks, including a long line of lineage that resulted in my family living very comfortably in a large manor that was bright and warm, with a beautiful garden. As I looked out the large window, I noticed the sun had started to peak through the clouds as it started to set, beaming a beautiful orange light onto the garden that lit up the grass and brought the flowers to life. It truly was a sight and it was home, and for the first time in a week it started to actually feel like it. I smiled to myself walking into my large room, my queen bed resting in the middle against the wall with my two bedside tables on each side, a small desk against the window, and a door at the back left of the room which led to a sizable ensuite bathroom.

I walked over to my bed and flopped onto it right next to the large ball of fluff that is my black German shepherd, Scout. "Hey boy" I said softly as he shifted so that he was now laying completely on his side essentially begging to be my little spoon. I giggled and cuddled him, scratching his sides and belly, causing him to roll onto his back paws up in the air making me laugh even more at the big sook he really was. For a very tough looking, big dog he was the biggest baby, for me at least. My pats got slower and slower and I found my eyelids getting heavier and heavier, I guess the big day of shopping and slight jet lag I was still experiencing were catching up to me. Maybe a quick nap before dinner would be good, I thought as I slipped into unconsciousness.

As soon as it began it was over, I was pulled from my powernap by a knock on the door. "Miss Wright, dinner is ready" Lila thrilled lightly from the other side of the door. Scout gave me a nudge as I groaned quietly, rolling off of my bed onto the floor with a light thump, Scout jumped off the bed kissing my face and nudging me more, causing me to giggle giving him a little push away as his licking was tickling my face and putting slobber all over me. "Wow thank you my wonderful gentleman" I said sarcastically laughing at him as he sat down for me. I quickly hopped up off the floor realising I was still in my clothes I had been wearing all day. My jean button was digging into my stomach after the awkward position I had been laying in and had left indents on my skin. My sage coloured crewneck jumper said Bondi Beach on it, a famous tourist location for muggles in Sydney Australia, my family had visited there once for a small business trip that happened to be during my school holidays. I opened my door and saw Lila standing there waiting for me politely. Both Lila and Scout walked me downstairs to dinner, Scout laid down next to my feet at the dinner table as I settled into my seat. There was Portuguese style chicken with a sweetcorn salad tossed with a honey Dijon dressing, and potato wedges on the side with some smoked aioli, I hadn't realised how hungry I was till I looked at the delicious food in front of me and my stomach rumbled.

"So, are you excited about starting school soon bub?" My father asked using my childhood pet name my parents always called me. I rolled my eyes at the name and nodded with my mouth full of food, swallowing I looked at my mum and dad waiting for a proper response. "I suppose it'll be good, hopefully I make new friends quickly, and didn't you say there was a housing system at Hogwarts Mum?" I asked, genuinely curious. I snuck Scout some chicken as I was asking them my question.

"I have no doubt in my mind that you will make friends easily bub! You're gorgeous, you're smart, you're confident! What's not to love?" I rolled my eyes at my Mum gloating about me as my Dad nodded in agreement chewing his dinner in peace. "And yes, they do have a housing system. You'll be sorted into one of four houses, Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, they sort you based on your personal attributes and qualities, and they become your family away from family!" Mum explained as she finished her plate. I wondered what house I would be sorted into.

I finished my plate, watching as Lila cleared our plates using magic while the other house helpers cleaned up. I walked into the kitchen after my dinner grabbing the dog food for Scout, making him sit and shake before saying "Off you go!" he excitedly dug into his dinner as I giggled watching him scoff it down. "Don't forget to breathe buddy" I laughed as I left him to go back into my room knowing he would follow me up to my room once he was done with his dinner. I decided a shower and a cup of tea would be best before bed, as I finally slipped into the cool sheets, Scout already laying on the other side of the bed, I laid there thinking about what Hogwarts would be like. I wonder what the students and teachers were like, if they would like me because I was foreign. Would there be any cute guys? I may not be into the lovey dovey crap, but some fun could make the school year go faster, especially with a strapping young boy. But most importantly what house would I be put into.