Chapter 8 Between the cracks

When was the last time she had felt responsible for anyone, including herself? Allison wasn't sure, but since having seen Tim with those guys, she hadn't stopped watching him. Was the concern she felt for him or for herself? She couldn't really tell, but whatever the case, it opened up old wounds and made her nervous. Still, she didn't want to question Tim. She hated it when people interfered in her own life, so she didn't want to do the same to someone else. It wasn't her business. She did not care.

Also, questions might make him suspicious. She didn't need anyone digging around in her past.

Allison's eyes followed him as unobtrusively as possible.

"You're distracted."

Allison turned away from Tim to look at Eric. They had been studying for almost two hours, but not much had registered with her. Her mind had been all over the place. "Hm?" she questioned, "what?"

Eric shifted his eyes towards Tim, who was making himself a sandwich, and back to Allison. "Everything alright?"

"Fine," Alison scoffed, "I just need a break."

"Alright," Eric relented, "I guess we've been studying for a while. Let's take a walk around the block." When Allison gave him a stare, he raised an eyebrow. "What? You're allowed to go outside, aren't you?"

"You're joking, right?" Allison said, "it's freezing outside."

Eric rolled his eyes. "Put on a coat and bring a blanket or something. Fresh air is good for you." He pushed back his seat and stood up.. "Coming?"

Allison sighed heavily and followed him towards the door. Perhaps he was right. It would be good to be out of the house for a while.

Valerie smiled where she noticed them leaving. "Are you two going out?"

"Just a walk around the block, ma'am," Eric said.

Valerie shook her head and waved a finger at him. "None of that 'ma'am' stuff, young man. Just call me Val. They all do." She looked at Allison. "Dress warmly, dear. I don't want you to catch a cold."

Allison rolled her eyes. "What am I, five?"

Valerie raised an eyebrow and placed her hands on her hips. "You are when you're rolling your eyes at me, young lady. Is your friend staying for dinner?"

"No," Allison replied before Eric could say anything.

Eric smiled at Valerie. "Maybe some other time."

"Hmm," Valerie mused while giving Allison a look of disapproval. "Well, have fun you two."

"She seems nice," Eric said as they moved down the street.

Allison shrugged. "I guess."

Eric hesitated a moment. "Can I ask you a question?"

Allison sighed. "You probably will anyway."

"If you live in that group home," Eric continued, ignoring her comment, "and your parents aren't in your life... who is that guy that sometimes picks you up from school?"

Allison gritted her teeth. She should have known this was coming. At some point someone would start asking questions. This was exactly why she didn't want to make friends. "No one you should worry about," she said stiffly.

Eric sighed. "Look, if you don't want to talk about it..."

"I don't want to talk about it."

He sighed again. "You don't trust people easily, do you?"