Promises

The next day, Eggsy and I both fail. He can't bring himself to shoot J.B. and I almost get caught by Valentine's assistant. During a fight, she steals my Kingsman glasses with all my data on them. Bloody bitch. Defeated, I walk back to Harry's apartment, where I have lived for the last seven months. I open the door and stumble into my boyfriend's arms. He was waiting for me right by the entrance. Completely losing it, I bury my face in his chest. "Harry, I fucked up. That stupid bitch got my glasses and now she knows everything about me.", I confess. "And that Eggsy didn't pass the test is also my fault. I shouldn't have let him alone all this time, I was the worst coach ever. I'm a bloody disgrace for Kingsman." Tears stream down my face. Harry wipes them away and lifts my chin, forcing me to look straight into his eyes. "Don't you ever say that again. Don't you dare. You are not a disgrace, Jane Sophie Unwin. In fact, you are the best Kingsman spy I have ever known, and I worked for this union for more than 20 years. Agent Lancelot died fighting Valentine's assistant, and I almost did too. After Arthur sent you off to find her yesterday, I got so mad. I didn't show it back then, in the fitting room, because I didn't want to distract Eggsy from his final test, but I was so scared. I was afraid that you wouldn't return to me. I didn't sleep at all tonight, because I was terrified from the idea that I might wake up in the morning and receive the message of your death. I had an argument with Arthur for exposing you to this kind of danger, I got so furious, I already had my gun pointed at him. And then you come back, unharmed, not even a single scratch on your beautiful face, and complain about the enemy stealing your glasses? Good lord, you could be dead by now, Jane!" Quite impressed by Harry's emotional outburst, I take a step back. "And regarding your brother, it wasn't your fault that he failed. The amount of missions Arthur sent you on lately was inacceptable and absolutely reckless. Some weeks I hardly saw you, how were you supposed to coach your brother then? I was the failure in this, darling. I failed Eggsy just as I failed your father. The price of the worst coach ever most definitely goes to me." I move closer to him again and cup one of his cheeks with my hand. "Don't say that. You were a wonderful teacher, my love. Maybe Eggsy was just not ready for this." His gaze drops to the floor and then moves up to my face again. "Yeah, maybe he wasn't." Then Harry places his hand above mine, closes his eyes and leans into my touch. "I love you so much, I couldn't bear the thought of you not coming back from that mission." He opens his eyes again, putting both of his arms around my waist. "Promise me to never do something as dangerous as this again." I swallow hard. Will I be able to hold that promise? "I promise. But only if you do the same. Promise to always return to me, Harry Hart." "I Promise." A small smile appears on Harry's lips, before he gives me the sweetest kiss. Just in that moment, one of our alarm bells starts ringing and makes us pull apart in surprise.

It's my brother who stole one of the Kingsman cars and now is on his way to beat up our dad. With a simple trick and a little help from Merlin, Harry manages to direct the car with his tablet to his apartment. Two minutes later, we hear the main door open downstairs. My boyfriend presses a gentle kiss against my temple. "Stay here, I'll deal with it. You had enough trouble for today." Then he walks down the stairs.

"You throw away your biggest opportunity over a fucking dog. And then you humiliate me by stealing my bosses car.", I hear him yelling at Eggsy. "And you shot your dog just to get a fucking job!" My brother seems to be even more annoyed than Harry. "Yes, I did." He opens the bathroom door. "Mr. Pickle in here reminds me of that every time I take a shit." A smile makes it to my exhausted face. As much of a gentleman as he may be most of the time, Harry can also be quite impertinent if he needs to. "You shot your dog and had it stuffed? You fucking freak!" "No, I shot my dog and then I brought him home and continued to care for him for the next eleven years until he died of pancreatitis. It was a fucking blank, Eggsy!" I decide to go down and intervene, before one of them can rip the other's throat out. "Limits must be tested. Kingsman only risks lives in order to safe others.", I explain to my dear brother while walking into the room. But instead of calming down, Eggsy gets even angrier as he sees me. "Just like our dad's life, hm? He died saving you from your own mistakes.", my brother yells, pointing aggressively towards Harry. "He died saving your life. Do you wanna stuff him too? Put him on the wall above your bath tube?" An expression of pain flashes over my partners face. Harry's voice breaks as he tries to explain. "Do you think this is easy for me? Seeing you two, his children, every day, being in a relationship with his daughter, all these things remind me of my mistakes every fucking minute. You have no idea about how much I sometimes wish I had died instead of him. Can you even imagine how I felt last year at his death day, when Jane was kneeling in front of his grave, sobbing? Seeing her in this state, knowing that it was my fault, was worse than a stab in the heart, Eggsy." He started crying at some point of his speech. I try to dry his tears, telling him everything's alright, but he won't let me. "Harry, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize how" Just as Eggsy tries to apologize, my devastated boyfriend gets a call from Merlin.

Valentine wants to test his sim cards at South Mission Glade Church, in Kentucky. One of us has to go after him, immediately. Merlin is already getting the plane ready. "I'll go", I instantly declare. But Harry grabs my arm. "No. He could use the information from your glasses against you. He knows everything about you, Jane. He knows your strengths and weaknesses, he knows your favorite weapons and that you never use pistols with a bigger caliber because you once got a broken wrist and it never fully healed." Then he wipes off his tears. "I am going, no protesting." Before he leaves, his gaze meets Eggsy's one more time. "We'll discuss this later. You and your sister are staying here, you can follow the mission from my computer in the office, Jane knows how to get the signal from my glasses." Harry turns back to me, and without any warning pulls me into a desperate goodbye kiss. "I expect you to keep your promise, Hart.", I whisper into his ear and then kiss him again. "I will always come back to you, my flower." Softly, Harry smiles at me before he lets go, unaware of the fact that he just created that one picture of himself that will stay in my memories forever.