Codename: Dawn

I need something strong. Quinn was getting ready to go home for the night, and Nia hadn't made any new attempt at leaving the house. Quinn went in her room to check on her from time to time to make sure she didn't sneak out, just to have random objects thrown at her. Between searching every inch of the mansion for loopholes in her system and running from Brian and his overbearing patriotism, Quinn was beat.

But drinking on the job was not an option, so instead she just sat by a window and peacefully watched the gardener being scared by the guard dogs. Until Nia burst her bubble. "I just thought I'd let you know I'm heading into the city." Quinn was about to loose her mind, but stayed impeccably calm. "No, you're not." She looked up at Nia who, even more annoyingly, looked absolutely gorgeous in a short, sparkly dress and nude pumps. "Yes, I am. You are required to work overtime if I say so." Quinn stood up to face her.

"Someone read my contract, I see? Then you should know that you're not going anywhere unless you tell me, an hour before." Nia provokativly took a step closer, looking up into Quinn's tired eyes. "Maybe you should know that I have a dad who can get you fired from any job ever for the rest of your life." Quinn laughed, which undoubtably made the girl in front of her angry. She had recieved enough threats in her life to know her way around each and every one.

"Oh you're going to have to do better than that, baby." Quinn leaned in and whispered her words as intimidatingly as she possibly could. But Nia just walked away and towards the front door. "You know I could tackle you to the ground!" Quinn yelled after her. Nia turned around whilst walking and just grinned. "I dare you."

Quinn had learned how to deal with all kinds of brats, but this one was throwing her off. Never before had she worked with someone so bluntly, obviously hot. She decided that maybe the only way to throw this girl off was with... well, the truth. Quinn ran after Nia until she caught up. "Where?" Nia glanced over at her, surprised. "This place called Safe House." Quinn instantly felt better. She knew that place perfectly, down to every last drink on the menu. The fact that it was illegal, well, never really bothered her.

"Expect to be dragged home as soon as you take one too many shots." She articulated her words very clearly to get her point across. Nia rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, boss." She got in the back seat of a black rover which was already rolled up. Quinn sat in the passenger seat, next to the driver who she hadn't seen yet. She shook his hand and then made a phone call. "Kris?" "I'm here! I was just erm... taking a bath." Quinn sighed loudly. "You're not alone."

She knew instantly, as that was one hundred procent a Kris thing to do. "It's ten p.m., what did you expect?" "It's Thursday, Kris." Quinn was so not up for that. "Did you want something?" She checked the backseat in the driver's mirror. Nia had her headphones on, and wasn't paying attention. "I need you to put some guys at Safe House." "The club?" Quinn sighed at the judging tone in Kris's voice. "It's for a client, okay? I just want to make sure."

She could almost hear her friend rolling her eyes. "You'll be there. How could "just in case" possibly be needed?" Quinn was getting annoyed. "Would you just make sure they show up?!" "Fine! Casually dressed, I presume?" Quinn nodded as if it could be seen. "She doesn't need to know they're there." She looked at Nia through the mirror. She seemed to be texting someone intensely. "She, huh?" "Shut up."

Quinn hung up the phone and looked out the window. It was pitch black outside except for all of the city lights that were refleced in the water. She wasn't exactly up for a club full of sweaty, sex-crazed people right now. She had plenty of that last night. Quinn used to be a playgirl, and good at it. That was before she understood the meaning of love, and how it feels to have it all taken away. Casual sex just didn't do it for her anymore, just like most things shallow.

Twenty minutes later

The driver pulled up at the street of the club, Quinn and Nia stepped out and then he drove off. They were alone, for the first time. Walking through a dark alley in the middle of the city, they made their way to the familiar back entrance door. Nia pulled her ID out of her small Gucci purse, and that was all the guard needed to let them both in. They were stood on the balcony that stretched its way around the room, looking down on the sea of dancing people. Up there it was calmer, but Nia headed right for the crowd.

Quinn found herself a table to stand at, never letting Nia slip out of her sight. The music was deafening, as it should be, and an array of lights were creating a mystical atmosphere along with the smoke creeping in along the floor. This was no doubt the best night club in the city, and Quinn knew exactly how many important people were there. She could easily spot five other body guards standing along the walls, all big dudes with black shades.

"Cole here, I have eyes on the asset, over." Quinn test-called out over the radio. "You can't just call her the asset, give her the code name she deserves!" She recognized the voice of a friend Kris used to work with, and could easily guess who the other guy in place must be. "Good to have you back, Reagan. Gao, you there too?" Quinn kept her eyes set on Nia like she was in a trance. "Gao here, I have eyes." His dark, broody voice was just like she remembered it. She was in a team with Gao once whilst in the army, they were pretty close.

"Hey, what about the code name?" Using the radio unprofessionaly was typical of Reagan. At first she only knew him through Kris, but until today they had done like ten jobs together. Quinn sighed as she watched Nia let loose on the dance floor, getting way too close to this guy. "Codename: Dawn. What do you think?"  "I like it. But why?" Reagan questioned, genuinely curious. Quinn had the perfect answer. "Because she's as fleeting as a sunrise. She's gone the moment you start enjoying her company. She owns herself, and however badly you want to, you can't make her yours."