[ T W E L V E ]

"What do you mean Aang's not here?"

Katara was sitting on the steps of the back porch, staring at Ty Lee in shock. Sokka assumed that Ty Lee had just broken the news about the Avatar's second big disappearance.

Katara's hair was out of it's usual braid and had been thrown into a frizzy, low ponytail. She was playing with her hands nervously, a habit she'd had since she and Sokka were kids. Appa was asleep in the sand a few feet away. Toph, who didn't look half as concerned as Katara, was laying in the fur of one of his legs, her arms stretched out behind her head.

"We were hoping he was with you," Suki said as she approached Katara, followed closely by Zuko. Sokka trailed a few feet behind them.

"What?" Katara asked. "Why would he be with us?"

"He went looking for you," Zuko explained. "He left here yesterday on his glider."

"Spirits," Katara cursed. "This is all my fault."

She put her head in her hands. Zuko walked over and sat down next to her on the steps, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't worry," he said reassuringly. "We'll find him."

"Maybe he's not even lost," Toph piped up. "I bet Twinkle Toes is just off frolicking in the Spirit World."

"Yeah," Zuko agreed. "And whenever he gets back, I'm sure he'll be glad to know that you're safe."

Sokka couldn't take it anymore. He'd been standing on the outskirts of the yard, separate from the group, but his anger propelled him towards his sister. When he spoke, he couldn't keep the acid out of his tone.

"So, what did you do to him?"

Katara's head snapped up. For the first time, she looked almost afraid of her older brother.

"What are you talking about?" she asked warily.

"Don't play dumb, Katara," Sokka continued angrily. "We found the documents."

Katara's eyes widened.

"Sokka, I didn't—"

"Y'know, have you ever even stopped to consider that she was my mother, too?" Sokka cut her off. "You don't see me hunting down elderly Fire Nation soldiers!"

Sokka could feel everyone's eyes on him, but he didn't care. An uncomfortable silence fell over the group. He kept his glare trained on his sister, partially because he couldn't bring himself to look at Zuko, who was still sitting next to her. Katara opened her mouth to respond, then clamped it shut.

"Relax, Sokka," Toph said. "General Yon Rha still has the same amount of heads as we found him with."

"Yon who?" Sokka spat. "Actually, nevermind. I don't give a shit."

He huffed angrily and turned on his heel, storming past Suki and Ty Lee. He stopped in front of Appa and stared down at Toph.

"Get up," he ordered her.

"I didn't hear a please," Toph smirked.

"That's because I didn't say it," Sokka snapped. "Now get off of Appa, I need him."

"For what?"

"I'm gonna try and find Aang," Sokka said as if it were obvious. "Sozin's comet is gonna be here in less than a week, and Firelord Ozai isn't gonna defeat himself!"

"Is that all you care about?" Katara shouted, standing up. "Are you even concerned about Aang's safety at all?"

"You're one to talk," Sokka scoffed.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Did you really think that he wouldn't go after you?" Sokka turned to look at her. "Come on, Katara, we both know Aang better than that."

Katara fell silent again. Deciding that he had won the argument, Sokka climbed up and positioned himself in Appa's saddle. He gripped the reins so hard that his knuckles turned white.

"Woah, slow down, Sugar Queen," Toph said as she felt his feet leave the ground. "Where are you even gonna go?"

"I don't know," Sokka snapped. "But we can't just sit around here!"

"Well you can't just fly aimlessly around this entire island," Toph retorted.

"I'm with Toph," Suki announced. "We need a plan."

"Of course you are," Sokka muttered under his breath.

"What was that?" Suki challenged.

"I said—"

"Guys, please stop fighting!" Ty Lee squeaked from the porch.

"Yeah, we have a real problem here," Zuko added, standing up.

"What should we do?" Katara asked.

She was looking directly at Zuko and Ty Lee. In fact, everyone except Sokka was staring at the two Fire Nation teenagers.

"I don't know," Zuko admitted.

"Why are you all looking at us?" Ty Lee asked nervously.

"Well, you guys are kinda the experts on tracking Aang," Katara pointed out.

"Yeah," Toph agreed. "If anyone's got experience hunting the Avatar, it's you two."

"Um, I'd just like to say that Azula did most of the tracking," Ty Lee said quietly. "I just did some flips and stuff."

Zuko looked at her, then at the rest of the group. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Sokka sitting in Appa's saddle, staring at the ground.

The events of the night before flashed across his mind. He shut his eyes, blocking them out.

The comet was only three days away. Zuko didn't even want to imagine the consequences if Aang wasn't there to face his father.

There was no other option. They had to find him. Somehow, the duty had fallen upon Zuko's shoulders.

He sighed and opened his eyes.

"Everybody get on Appa."

___________________________________

i hate writing filler chapters i tried to make this one kinda funny but alas

also, no talk sokka he amgry