dead ends // p.c.

(UNEDITED)

Ponyboy Curtis was an open book. He'd never looked at it that way, of course, but you had. To Ponyboy, his life was full of nothing but dead ends - dead friends, dead parents. He saw himself as he was presented by the world - a broken boy. He had come to the conclusion that all roads eventually lead to a dead end - and that some weren't worth taking. He wanted to spare himself from the pain.

But all that changed as soon as he noticed you. He watched from the sidelines as you ran into dead ends, and when he thought to step in and help - he didn't. He stood back moments more to see what you'd do next; and it was extraordinary.

He watched in awe as you ran into dead ends and begin paving your own road. He tilted his head to see how you'd break through walls - which were supposed to be dead ends - and simply walk straight through them. Sometimes you'd walk the rest of the road with physical or mental scars - but you kept on walking.

He wanted - no, needed to talk to you. So he did. He spoke with you until his mind was empty, he walked you home day after day, week after week, month after month - and each day his awe and adoration for you skyrocketed. He was madly in love with you, the girl who paved her own roads.

You were his only friend, the only person who saw him through eyes that didn't forge labels, that didn't care for the words 'greaser' or 'hood'. You wanted to see him in the flesh, and in the mind. The raw, true him. You were the only person he knew to ever ask that of him - the only person he'd ever fallen this deeply for.

A Christmas party is not where he thought he'd catch you, where he'd capture your lips between his. Hell, he never thought he'd get invited to a Christmas party in the first place. But here he was, looking through the blinds of the house from the outside. He could hear the music - Elvis singing some seasonal tune. He could see the Christmas tree, the people exchanging smiles and laughs and playing cards.

He didn't know those people - and he almost left, until he saw you. He'd never been to a party with you before, but he could tell just by watching you from outside that they were not your forte. He couldn't just leave you alone, so he pushed himself through the door and through the dancing people that were drenched in the scent of wine, until he found his way to you.

There you were, radiant as ever, leaning against the hallway wall, hugging yourself. You looked unbearably uncomfortable, that is until you saw Ponyboy. His heart skipped a beat as your eyes immediately lit up, a smile painting itself on your lips as you waved him over.

Ponyboy grinned wholeheartedly, striding towards you and leaning opposite to you on the wall.

"Thank God you're here-," you spoke softly, as if worried the others would hear, "this party reminds me of my aunt - the smell of cheap wine and fake laughter."

Ponyboy laughed at that, and you laughed along as well.

"Yeah, doesn't seem to be diggin' real well. I woulda left had I not seen you standing here by your lonesome."

You nodded up at him, your cheeks flushing as the words spilled out of his mouth - the idea that he didn't want you to be alone. You pondered for a moment, just staring up at Pony with curious and lovestruck eyes.

Then an idea came to mind.

You reached for Pony's hand, pushing yourself off the wall and dragging him behind you through the crowd of underaged drunks and loud music and flashy lights. The air inside was thick, hot and the smell of chestnut was all too strong.

But on the back porch, it was all clear, clean and crisp air - nothing but the sounds of each other's heartbeats - the light coming from the moon and its companions: the stars.

It was breathable, and even better, the two of you were alone.

"So...," you exhaled, watching as Ponyboy's breath fanned out into the bitter air, "what're you doing for the holidays?"

Pony laughed at the question - it was a silly question to him, because he knew you were just using it for small talk. He knew you like that.

"I dunno - guess I'll just be spending it with my brothers and the guys. You?"

You sighed, reaching a hand up to run through your cold hair.

"Not sure - figure I'll probably spend it alone."

Pony furrowed his eyebrows, resting his elbows on the wooden railing of the porch.

"Well if you want, you're always welcome over at my house. We'd love to have you."

Your grin became evident again, but this time there was more sentiment behind it.

"Thanks, Pony. I'd like that."

He only nodded, and for a moment you swore that you were leaning into him - but you stopped yourself once the grandfather clock could be heard singing from inside. It was ten. How had time flown by so quickly? Moments ago you had just arrived! Oh, well.

"Gee I better be going - dad set a new curfew and I don't want to see what'd happen if I was out past it."

Your heartbroke as you watched Pony's smile drop. You didn't want to leave him - ever. You wanted to hold him, love him, have him all to yourself - but there was no time for that now. Home would become hell if you were gone a minute past 10:30.

Pony nodded, and this time he grabbed you by the hand. He lead you back through the house, down each hallway and out the front door - where he stopped. He stepped close to you, looking down at you through lustful eyes - but they were somehow broken, dead ended.

You glanced up, hoping to see the stars - but what was there was completely and utterly unexpected - Mistletoe. You secured a quick gaze with Ponyboy, cheeks on fire. Your heart soared, pounding with euphoria and excitement. But you couldn't move. You couldn't think. You couldn't breathe.

You don't even know if Pony had seen the mistletoe, but before you had time to ask him, his lips were pressed to yours. You burned and softened under his touch, you flushed at the feeling of his soft lips intertwined with your own. You could never get used to this feeling, nor sick of it. It was a feeling of your own - one that you were positive no one had felt before - not like this.

When you pulled away and met Ponyboy's eyes once again, you saw a change. They were still lust filled, but no longer dead ended. No, not dead ended... they were full of possibilities, hopes, dreams and an ongoing road. This road would never end.

"Goodnight, Pony." You slurred, completely and utterly drunk on his love. But despite your urges, you pushed yourself from him, turning on your heels and heading down the sidewalk. You left him there to think.

"Can I see you tomorrow?!" He yelled after you, and you glanced at him over your shoulder.

"I'll be waiting for you at the park around 10!" You shouted back the response, and then set out for home. For good.

Ponyboy Curtis was an open book. Before, he'd never looked at himself that way. But now, because of you, he did. His life had some dead ends, yes, but now, the two of you were paving your own road together.

There would be bumps in this road, of course - but never a dead end.