XIII

"Hey, Paul will be just fine." Embry said as he drove Bella's super, really old truck down the very familiar road and Juliana was lookin' out of the side mirror, watching behind them. "Hey. I know that you probably definitely are in the know about this, but Jacob can't kill Paul." He reminded her.

"Why not?" Bella chimed in from the backseat of the car and Juliana growls at her words, having briefly, forgotten that she was there.

"Having a rather private conversation, up here." Juliana snapped at her, as Bella flinched a bit and Juliana sighed quietly. "Sorry. I'm on edge right now, as you can tell. I'm not used to havin' Paul out of my sight when he has gotten himself, into a big fight. Especially one, that he might not stand a decent chance of winnin'." She mumbled that last part.

"Hey, he's tough!" Jared shouted from the bed of the truck, and she glared at him.

"Yeah, so is an elephant! But put enough predators in the cage with the elephant, and it will go down for good and us werewolves, we are certainly not an exception to that law." She said pointedly, as they came up onto Emily and her house.

"Why can't we be?" Jared asked as he hopped out of the backseat and raised his eyebrows at her and she shook her head.

"Because, Jared. Above all of that as which we are being a part of this pack of werewolves. We cannot forget, that we are still part human." She said and she hopped out of the passenger seat.

The three werewolves made yipping noises and Juliana chuckles quietly, as when she inhales the familiar scent of what she thought was home, relaxes a lot more visibly now, being back here.

"Hey, I think we should go back and see if Jacob's okay." Bella said and the female werewolf stops in her tracks, a bit of her quiverin' as the anger, it had only briefly reared its head.

"Hey, you're okay." Embry said as he hesitantly squeezed her shoulder to try to comfort her unsure of what else he could do for her to help, other then maybe, get his ass handed back to him by her later.

"Thanks Embry, but I'm good now." At once, she seemed to brighten up again and Embry sighed in relief.

"I hope that Paul sinks some teeth in him. Serves him right." Jared said and his eyes flashed with glee.

"No way, Jacob's a natural. You see him phase on the fly? Not even Sam can do that, but Jules can. I got five, it says that Paul doesn't touch him." The boys were at it again with their habits of gambling, as Juliana smiled slightly.

"Come on in, Bella." Juliana offered after noticing that her car door, still hadn't been opened.

"Come on in, Bella. We won't bite." It was Embry, who called that out to her and so naturally, it was Jared who was the one to ruin it.

"Speak for yourself." Jared said and Juliana smacked Jared on the back of the head, as he walked into the house and she chuckled, followin' him in for the food.

Bella opened the door and Juliana poked her head out of the door again to listen to what Embry was saying to Bella, having a good instinct about the explanation.

"Oh, hey, about Emily, Sam's fiancée. I, just... don't stare. It bugs Sam." Embry, his voice was a bit worried.

"Why would I stare?" Bella asked as Juliana walks over to Emily and hugs her quickly.

"Hey." Juliana said, stealing an entire massive basket of muffins off of their countertop, and, taking them into the corner with her.

"Hey, why does she get all of the food?!" Embry complained and Emily glared at him while Juliana was in the midst of eating her fourth already and even having just sat down.

"Because, she is running all of late night shifts and early dawn patrols and often on her own, without any of you to help. The only ones who're out there always consistently are now it's, Paul and Sam. She gets more food and a bed. You guys, need to give her more credit." Emily said, smackin' the two boys, both on the backs of their heads and Juliana quietly scoffed.

Jared reached into the other bowl for a couple of muffins, and Emily caught his arm, quickly. "Save some, for your brothers. And ladies first." She pushed the two boys on their backs but they'd just laugh at her efforts. "Muffin?" She offered to Bella first, as the boys, were already shoveling them down.

"Sure. Thanks." Bella said and picked up one hesitantly, takin' an small bite of it.

"Leave it to Jacob to find a way around Sam's gag order." Emily said as Juliana joined the boys at the table and growls protectively, as they tried to take some of her food.

"You run nights shifts every night for three months or so, and then, you tell me, when it finally started to feel, like you are the ones in the pack, who, get to have no real food." She said coldly.

"Um, he didn't tell me anything." Bella said to them all, as Embry quietly, was ready for an explanation to be given.